ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

All - regarding the range anxiety issues, I saw that NY opened a high speed (350kw) charge station in Castleton-on-Hudson. Coming from Long Island, it will take me a total of 1 mile out of my way up to Gore, about 150 miles in with 90 miles to Gore. It looks like that station went live in the last week or so.

Even assuming a worse case scenario of 60% (187 miles on 312 miles) of range in cold weather, that would involve a 20 minute stop to charge and then heading up to Gore with a reasonable amount left in the battery. If you have access to even a relatively slow level 2 charger up there, pretty easy to leave with a high level of charge. This isn't much longer than a gas stop in my family, especially if someone needs to use restrooms.

More chargers will come on line, making the back and forth relatively easy. One in Clifton Park is slated to open this year (and so far they have been sticking to or ahead of schedule on the chargers).

Pretty exciting:

I really hope you're wrong. So many people will be out of business if this crap happens.
Other than landscapers, who the heck uses a leaf blower for an hour? Screw California.
They are called leaves because you should leave them.

I think they were just using an hour as a metric. We switched to electric blowers three years ago. Never going back. We rarely use them for more than 45 minutes at a time. 3 hours at most over the course of an entire day. We use two backpack batteries. As one is being used the other is being charged. We have a gasser as a backup or if the grid goes down. Never use it. They should make gas really expensive, not ban ICEs. They are overlooking the fact that carbon neutral, renewable biofuels can be run in these motors. Yes, NY is next.

Last edited:
All - regarding the range anxiety issues, I saw that NY opened a high speed (350kw) charge station in Castleton-on-Hudson. Coming from Long Island, it will take me a total of 1 mile out of my way up to Gore, about 150 miles in with 90 miles to Gore. It looks like that station went live in the last week or so.

Even assuming a worse case scenario of 60% (187 miles on 312 miles) of range in cold weather, that would involve a 20 minute stop to charge and then heading up to Gore with a reasonable amount left in the battery. If you have access to even a relatively slow level 2 charger up there, pretty easy to leave with a high level of charge. This isn't much longer than a gas stop in my family, especially if someone needs to use restrooms.

More chargers will come on line, making the back and forth relatively easy. One in Clifton Park is slated to open this year (and so far they have been sticking to or ahead of schedule on the chargers).

Pretty exciting:

At the two truck per day they are building yours is right around the corner. Lol. They better get their shit together

At the two truck per day they are building yours is right around the corner. Lol. They better get their shit together
I don't necessarily think I am right around the corner. I think there is a 15-30% chance of really long delays. But what do I know?

There is a guy who ordered a month before me, R1T launch edition, same geography, and as of a week ago, Rivian was sticking with delivering to him in October, so a handful of days left.

If they kept to that schedule on my order, I'd expect it January -March. Right now I think it is 50/50 if I get it this winter. Time will tell one way or the other. 65% guess that I get it in 2022.

At some point, the CRV will demand more repair money. Then I will have a choice. That could be a few years away given its reliability to date.

They are called leaves because you should leave them.

I think they were just using an hour as a metric. We switched to electric blowers three years ago. Never going back. We rarely use them for more than 45 minutes at a time. 3 hours at most over the course of an entire day. We use two backpack batteries. As one is being used the other is being charged. We have a gasser as a backup or if the grid goes down. Never use it. They should make gas really expensive, not ban ICEs. They are overlooking the fact that carbon neutral, renewable biofuels can be run in these motors. Yes, NY is next.
Reminds me of the APA
Not a fan

Back