ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

Huh?
You mentioned that the grid was good to go. Musk says it needs to double, which would lead me to believe that the grid is far from good to go.
I don't know the answer, but Musk often makes forward looking statements that with hindnsight end up not being true, to put it mildly. He also has an economic incentive to say that, as Tesla sells solar panels and batteries (which I think are quite good) - depending on how you view it, it increases the grid.

It ain’t Camp talkin, but it’s MrSubaru discussin Subie’s new 2023 Solterra EV.
Wha?!? Subie EV? Awesome. I have stopped researching them because of Rivian.

For my next car it came down to Subaru Ascent, Highlander hybrid, or Rivian (when I was thinking in Spring 2019).

Amazon doesn’t need to but any either.
They do have an investment, allegedly.
Yes - they own more than 5% of the company, which is disclosed in the prospectus. The way I read the disclosures (tail end of prospectus) is they don't have to buy, but if they don't buy they pay all of Rivian's development costs on the delivery truck.

It makes sense that was the deal struck because (1) Amazon strikes hard bargains; (2) at the time, Rivian needed a strategic investor/customer like Amazon. Very few companies fit that bill.

It ain’t Camp talkin, but it’s MrSubaru discussin Subie’s new 2023 Solterra EV.
Sounds familiar!

Not really an issue in NY - you either charge at home or go to these high speed chargers (some already built in NY) thanks to VW settlement money. I could go to Gore tomorrow (200 mi away) and back using these stations, though I'd have to go to Schroon lake (one is coming near West Mountain):

The map wasn't loading but here is an article from when the first high speed charger opened that includes a map. Rivian's have a massive battery and this would give you 120 miles of range in 20 min (probably fill a tesla in that period). These are OPEN chargers.

Fair warning: puff piece about the trans america trail crossing in 5 minutes:

Also, while I keep the faith, it seems to me that Rivian is prioritizing the Amazon vans and not the R1T or R1s orders. This makes complete business sense, as Rivian either needs to IPO (to get cash) or sell more equity or debt. Either involves keeping Amazon happy because (1) Amazon is a core investor with the closest thing to unlimited cash; and (2) Amazon has a good contract that doesn't obligate it to much, but if its orders represent 66% of all orders that Rivian has (100k vans versus 50k R1t and R1s).

I’ve been very impressed lately with regenerative breaking technology. We came down the Whiteface Veteran’s Memorial Highway yesterday using it. Our Mitsubishi Outlander is a PHEV with a small 25 mile range battery. When we went up we had no juice in the battery. Coming down we were able to charge the battery to 2/3 and never used the brakes. We made it to Keene 20 miles from the summit with 1/3 range left. I thought it was pretty cool to be able to harness that power and not smoke your brakes. Amazing views up there! The summit scramble is super fun.

I’ve been very impressed lately with regenerative breaking technology. We came down the Whiteface Veteran’s Memorial Highway yesterday using it. Our Mitsubishi Outlander is a PHEV with a small 25 mile range battery. When we went up we had no juice in the battery. Coming down we were able to charge the battery to 2/3 and never used the brakes. We made it to Keene 20 miles from the summit with 1/3 range left. I thought it was pretty cool to be able to harness that power and not smoke your brakes.
One of the best things bout regenerative brakes is they don’t wear out as fast.

Back