ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

That stuff happens in forums all the time. But it's not legal. Would someone go after me, probably not the NYT.

IMAGES are another story. There is a full business model of posting images people are likely to want to use. The company has not intention of ever actually selling the image. The money is made by lawyers following up and "settling." This cost our company $10k two years ago.

Here's the thing. A link BACK to the original source has SEO (google) value. One someone steals our content without asking, and they LINK back to us. I don't even bother to complain. And for NYT if you get their paywall message, they have an opportunity to sell you a subscription.

Email me the link I can add it.

Kidding right?
Sort of I guess. Seriously asking a question that everybody’s ignoring though- how will working people that rent and park on the street live their lives with an EV? It’s a pretty important question.

Sort of I guess. Seriously asking a question that everybody’s ignoring though- how will working people that rent and park on the street live their lives with an EV? It’s a pretty important question.
Parking meters will be replaced with charging stations. It won't be cheap (add that cost to your total cost of ownership), especially after all the taxes are added in.
Like you, I'm skeptical. Cautiously curious, and plan on staying with ICE trucks for years until if/when these things prove themselves.

A guess, THB I have no idea:

The reason people don't have cars in the city is it's a PITA. Parking especially. The ones that do... if gas gets super cheap because demand is down, they'll probably continue to drive gassers or hybrids, which are well suited to the city. If the cost of gas goes way up because no one is supplying it anymore the rich will find a way to get outlets in their parking garages and the middle class and the poor will be forced to use electric mass transit. Then eventually parking meters will be electric.

ETA: haha Camp.

Tesla trying to work around chip shortage:

Last edited:
The one piece I am confident about in all this is that all of our predictions will be wrong.

Mine especially. I thought I would have my car like a year ago. It is cool we are having the debate.

On the city point guys, one interesting this is that if automakers adopt the model, you could have seriously cheaper EVs in the city; think of a Nissan Leaf - it has lower range but is perfect for a city grocery runner, etc.

Guys - since I have been in video mode lately:

1) R1t Motortrend test part 3, going through blackbear pass at 12,000 feet in Telluride. Therefore small ski angle : )

2) Youtube videon about some EV enthusiasts trying to start a boycott against Toyota, which has finally announced they will make an EV. Why? In short, these folks think their has been a conspiracy to use hybrids to slow transition to EVs. Not sure how i feel about this but it is interesting.

A guess, THB I have no idea:

The reason people don't have cars in the city is it's a PITA. Parking especially. The ones that do... if gas gets super cheap because demand is down, they'll probably continue to drive gassers or hybrids, which are well suited to the city. If the cost of gas goes way up because no one is supplying it anymore the rich will find a way to get outlets in their parking garages and the middle class and the poor will be forced to use electric mass transit. Then eventually parking meters will be electric.

ETA: haha Camp.

Tesla trying to work around chip shortage:

This is interesting Harv, thanks.

Here is a stat: GM sold 6.8m vehicles last year. Tesla has sold 627,000 vehicles through Q1-Q3 and is on track to hit the goal of increasing year over year sales by 50%. Profit of 1.1 bln on 13.1 billion of revenue - that is starting to sound like a real, profitable company . . . .

Texas had electric railway lines in the early 20th century. Went pretty far out from Dallas or Houston.

Here's a glimpse at what's happening in other countries in terms of electrifying mass transit options.

October 3, 2021
"The roar of engines has long been part of the soundscape of a city.

For a century, for billions of urban people worldwide, getting around has meant boarding a bus powered by diesel or an auto rickshaw that runs on gasoline, or among the affluent, a car.

Today, a quiet transformation is underway. Berlin, Bogotá and several other cities are taking creative steps to cut gas and diesel from their public transit systems. They are doing so despite striking differences in geography, politics and economics that complicate the transformation.

Berlin is reviving electric tram lines that were ripped out when the Berlin Wall went up. Bogotá is building cable cars that cut through the clouds to connect working-class communities perched on faraway hills. Bergen, a city by the fjords in western Norway, is moving its public ferries away from diesel and onto batteries — a remarkable shift in a petrostate that has for decades enriched itself from the sale of oil and gas and that now wants to be a leader in marine vessels for the electric age.

Bergen’s buses, too, are now electric, supplied by Chinese bus makers that have seized on the market in cities as far afield as Los Angeles and Santiago, Chile. The change is audible. “You can hear voices again in the streets,” said Jon Askeland, the mayor of the county that includes Bergen.

Urban transportation is central to the effort to slow climate change. Home to more than half the world’s population, cities account for more than two-thirds of global carbon dioxide emissions. And transportation is often the largest, and fastest growing, source, making it imperative to not only encourage more people to get out of their cars and into mass transit, but also to make transit itself less polluting and more efficient.
. . ."

Back