ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

This article confirms my suspension that Tesla has quality issues. Part of what I do is appraise cars/trucks. With that come looking for prior paint and bodywork. I've appraised a few Tesla's that have had body panels not lining up yet I didn't see any paintwork on them and the auto check would be clean, meaning no reported accidents. I concluded that some of these things are just slapped together.
You are totally right - the main things I know of are body panel gaps and bad paint jobs (dust, hair in factory paint).

My understanding is that Tesla also has some amazing mfg tech in their construction - I think the Model Y has the largest unibody stamp (maybe describing wrong) of any mfg'd vehicle, and Tesla focuses on continual improvement from vehicle to vehicle. Sandy Munro has cool videos on his breakdowns of many vehicles, including Tesla.

Here is the R1t (i.e. Rivian Truck) owner's manual that came out in the past few days. This one is for the car folks and general nerds. Camp, I believe you may find this worth skimming.

There are some cool features.

A lot going on there. Proof is in the pudding, let's see what happens when these things actually start hitting the roads. These guys (Tesla, Rivian, etc) scare me. They aren't proven. If/when I go EV it will be from a manufacturer that has already had a recall of 100,000 vehicles, or so. One good recall and these guys good be done.

A lot going on there. Proof is in the pudding, let's see what happens when these things actually start hitting the roads. These guys (Tesla, Rivian, etc) scare me. They aren't proven. If/when I go EV it will be from a manufacturer that has already had a recall of 100,000 vehicles, or so. One good recall and these guys good be done.
True. However is it better to buy from a company you know will probably screw things up? I'm thinking Ford or take a chance. I'm still leaning on getting a rivian when they become more readily available.

If I were to pull the trigger now it would 100% be Ford. EV's aren't new to Ford.
With the global natural gas shortage electric rates are set to skyrocket
It’s going to a expensive winter

Good point - when making a purchase, you have to consider all the potential downsides.

I think you're right. I saw a journal article today that the mustaing mach e was recalled for bonding issues on windshield and pano roof.

I think I will still go through with Rivian (if I get called to finalize my order!). I am absolutely taking a lot of early adopter risk, but that is mitigated by Ford, Amazon, and Kelly blue book backing Rivian's equity. I also have to weigh that against some of the benefits of a 'clean sheet' company: no car dealers (i have only bought two cars in my life, and the dealership part of it is useless at best, hurts consumers at worst).

On the established companies, sad to see the problems with the Bolt - GM is now recommending that you park 50 feet from any objects and stay with the car during charging, making the car useless. GM has a mixed record on EVs (killing a good car in the 90s, etc. while also providing one of the first 'mass' market EVs with the volt and bolt). I get that supports your point: if GM has trouble with this, who won't?

We'll see. I haven't don't the research, but I would bet there were a bunch of problems when we went from horses to internal combustion engine 'carriages' 100 pluls years ago. I am serious - no pun intended.

(i have only bought two cars in my life, and the dealership part of it is useless at best, hurts consumers at worst).
Wait until you have problems
That's where a dealer kicks in
I'd be VERY cautious not going through a dealer

Not for our area.
Many gas wells in NE PA are capped waiting for pipe lines. New England would love to have natural gas for heating verses oil. Cuomo blocked pipe lines through NY State because, I'm paraphrasing, "If we don't allow fracking of gas in this state why should we allow fracked gas pipe lines through our state?" And the only way to New England is through NY.
Maybe that will change under a new governor.
Note: I'm not a big fan of fracking or any fossil fuels but it's a better choice than oil heat as we transition to renewables.

Back