ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

This is kind of a Ford commercial, but also kind of interesting if you are into it.

FYI first six minutes are assembly line, last 5 minutes show the truck driving.

This article confirms my suspension that Tesla has quality issues. Part of what I do is appraise cars/trucks. With that come looking for prior paint and bodywork. I've appraised a few Tesla's that have had body panels not lining up yet I didn't see any paintwork on them and the auto check would be clean, meaning no reported accidents. I concluded that some of these things are just slapped together.

It's actnually a well known economic effect that efficeincy >> lower cost >> more affordable for more people >> more demand. It's why the average American has higher standard of living than the Roman emperors. Economic growth has exceeded energy growth for the last 40 years or so, but that is an exception more than the experienceof history. The key to a happy future is clean energy, not less energy.

mm

It's actnually a well known economic effect that efficeincy >> lower cost >> more affordable for more people >> more demand. It's why the average American has higher standard of living than the Roman emperors. Economic growth has exceeded energy growth for the last 40 years or so, but that is an exception more than the experienceof history. The key to a happy future is clean energy, not less energy.

mm
My point is that this entire "shift" to EV's isn't anywhere near as simple as a lot of people would like us to think it will be. Did you read the article? This stuff is far from "clean". That's fine with me but I think too many people are getting caught up in the green factor when it's seemingly not what they really think it is.

I wish I could link to the first article I read on this study, but you wouldn't be able to open it. It's from Automotive News and you have to be a subscriber to read it.

My point is that this entire "shift" to EV's isn't anywhere near as simple as a lot of people would like us to think it will be. Did you read the article? This stuff is far from "clean". That's fine with me but I think too many people are getting caught up in the green factor when it's seemingly not what they really think it is.
I did read the artical and my point is that the solution is clean energy, not suppressing growth. EVs are as clean as the source used to generate electricity. Fossils fuels have reached the limit of polution control, electricity sources have not. And I know things are not as simple as some think.

mm

I did read the artical and my point is that the solution is clean energy, not suppressing growth. EVs are as clean as the source used to generate electricity. Fossils fuels have reached the limit of polution control, electricity sources have not. And I know things are not as simple as some think.

mm
Gotcha. Understand.
Agree we need growth but I also hope we don't have all our eggs in one basket, as it seems we currently do. Something as simple as a microchip shouldn't nearly halt one of the biggest industries in the country.

Good stuff guys.

I am a bit behind, but (1) I believe the 150 Lightening is in pre prodcution: they make the vehicle to a spec to test, but it is not mass produced off an assemply line. It won't be as capable off road as an ICE 150 in some ways (the battery eats into the clearance) but in other ways more capable (torque). You can also charge your freakin' house with it in the event of a power outage.

(2) Rivian has actually, finally, produced sellable vehicles off the production line (I think this week). They say they are sticking to their timeline of delivering customer vehicles this week.

Camp: Rivian completed the Trans America Trail - an offroad trail that bisects the country from North Carolina beaches (that look like they have sand similar to long island beaches) to Oregon. Motortrend has a cool video.

EPA Range rating: 314 mi on the truck; 316 on the SUV. We don't know yet if they are being like Tesla (less actual range in real life) or Porsche (more actual range in real life). If you get the all terrain wheels, then you lose 10-15% range; though there have been some indications of a 'conserve' mode that gets you 300 miles with the ATs.

Selfishly, I should be getting my order delievered as a Launch Edition holder by Spring 2022 (though I will believe it when I drive it). For now, it is my nearly 11-year old CRV that I am cruising around the beach on.

See: https://electrek.co/2021/09/14/rivian-team-watches-first-customer-r1t-roll-off-production-line/

We rented a house near Gore (actually near Bakers Mills (sp)) this season so hope to see you guys. Be even better if I get to use a fancy car where I don't have to think about driving decisions on the hwy.

Back