ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

How much heavier is the PRIME anything vs the regular hybrid? I googled, looks like 200 or 400 lbs? Options are an issue.

Really just curious about how much that extra functionality costs in terms of weight.
The MPG for the Prime is about 2 miles less than for the R4P Hybrid. Meaning when using just HV mode, which is what I do for driving trips away from home. Have gotten 38-40 mpg for such trips, which can be 1500+ miles round trip. As I remember the R4P Hybrid MPG rating is 42.

Does it have a panoramic roof? That adds a bit of weight and is always the one option I don't want in the higher trims
Ended up with the glass roof on both the R4P 2021 SE and 2022 XSE. Wasn't really possible to get one without it.

I've had two cars with pano roofs, seven years worth of owning them, never had a problem. The rest of my cars have had sunroofs. I am tall at 6'1", never noticed an issue with head room (folks taller than me might have issues, I guess).

--

My CX-50 (non-turbo) is up to one full year of ownership: 29.7 MPG (all fill ups recorded). My best tank was this summer (going to Acadia, very little highway) at 37.9 MPG. It is EPA rated 24 city, 30 highway, and 27 combined, as I recall. Since April, my worst tank was 29.9 MPG (my most recent tank was 33.9 MPG).

My Civic averaged 37.8 MPG (which is less than its highway EPA, but more than its combined EPA). Given my driving conditions and style, I'd say the CX-50 has really over performed by averaging its highway EPA.

The vehicle is very thirsty off the line, though. Driven in the city, I could see low 20s at best, maybe worse with a heavy foot in the city. The turbo in the city with a heavy foot would never hit 20 MPG, ever.

A hybrid version is due soon, looks like it will have the Rav4 hybrid engine (and a CVT instead of automatic), as anticipated for many years. Same EPA MPG as the Rav4 Hybrid. I wonder if Mazda was able to tune the engine better? The Rav4 hybrid is known as a loud droner (and Mazda is well known for a higher quality engine/product).

The price difference between my ICE version and the hybrid (equivalent trim) is around $5k-6k or so. Given my driving patterns, I would expect worse MPG compared to EPA on the hybrid (which don't do too well in cold NNE winters and on long highway drives to ski areas).

I gave up holding out for the hybrid version. Given the price difference, I don't regret it (especially seeing what looks like the Rav4 engine with a CVT). I think it would be almost a wash in total fuel costs after accounting for the hybrid premium (and I doubt the hybrid version will get discounted for a while).

I don’t miss gas. On vacation with a rental car and I ll be going to a gas station soon. Boo.

I know it sounds odd given electric’s shorter range but I almost never have to stop to charge. The exception is a four plus hour trip or 5 hour round trip that doesn’t have some kind of overnight (including trickle) charging.

Hope everyone is having a great summer!

My PSEG EV program is finally fully setup. Looks like my Tesla cost me about $50 to charge last month and then a $25 credit for off peak got applied. ~$25 for a months worth of driving. We don't do that many miles but still pretty sweet

Back