ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

Retail prices are around 17 cents. Wholesale prices are 8 cents. When you send back to the grid you are not getting retail prices.

What am I missing?
When you net meter you are effectively getting the retail price. 17 cents is cheap for NY, most customers pay and more. Wholesale energy prices vary by the hour, and and heavily influenced by a small number of peak hours. solar is not completely aligned with those peak hours. Solar and wind are intermittent and uncontrollable, and that increase reliability cost. Net metering always increases the delivery portion of the bill for anyone who does not net meter. More supply causes cheaper wholesale energy prices, less reliability increases costs, and net metering increases delivery rates. Very few in the industry believe that will ever net out to cheaper service.

This all started with "they're getting free energy and selling it for $$$." That's the opposite of the real situation.

I have to tap out. It hurts my brain to think about this again, especially when no one is paying. It's gonna take a week to recover.

mm

Cash wise there are state incentives so that if you don’t get a battery you effectively will be 0 out of pocket.

With financing (for me with a lot of sun exposure) there is a small positive difference on monthly cash flow because the subsidized loan payment is less than my electric was. So there are options.
Good to know. Thanks.

If my savings would only be what my electric bill is I'm not sure that's enough for me to have to look at those panels.

When you net meter you are effectively getting the retail price. 17 cents is cheap for NY, most customers pay and more. Wholesale energy prices vary by the hour, and and heavily influenced by a small number of peak hours. solar is not completely aligned with those peak hours. Solar and wind are intermittent and uncontrollable, and that increase reliability cost. Net metering always increases the delivery portion of the bill for anyone who does not net meter. More supply causes cheaper wholesale energy prices, less reliability increases costs, and net metering increases delivery rates. Very few in the industry believe that will ever net out to cheaper service.

This all started with "they're getting free energy and selling it for $$$." That's the opposite of the real situation.

I have to tap out. It hurts my brain to think about this again, especially when no one is paying. It's gonna take a week to recover.

mm
Peace and love and had no intent to increase anyone’s distress. Appreciate your thoughtfulness and can tell you know about rate setting policy which alone gets my respect and thanks.

I am taking a roadtrip to huntsville Alabama with a bro to visit a bro. Charging should not be a problem. There are 0 / ZERO high speed chargers in ALABAMA but suprisingly good access all the way down.

Maybe I'll do a write up on how it goes. I offered my bro to do a stop at some offroading in the Shenandoah valley but he either didn't want to lose the time or risk a tire, can't tell, so we are not doing it.

We are stopping at an RV campsite in Roanoke VA which should be fun.

Last night we had a local new car dealership have an EV battery blowup while charging a EV overnight. Fortunately it did not burn the dealership down, but the car is a total loss. My understanding is the entire dealership stinks to the high heavens.

Yes, there are supposed safety stops to prevent this from happening. Yes it was a brand new car. Please be mindful while charging these things.

I am taking a roadtrip to huntsville Alabama with a bro to visit a bro. Charging should not be a problem. There are 0 / ZERO high speed chargers in ALABAMA but suprisingly good access all the way down.

Maybe I'll do a write up on how it goes. I offered my bro to do a stop at some offroading in the Shenandoah valley but he either didn't want to lose the time or risk a tire, can't tell, so we are not doing it.

We are stopping at an RV campsite in Roanoke VA which should be fun.

Several of the Tesla superchargers are at Sheetz stations along I-81 in VA. Can you use them with an adapter? I often stop at Sheetz, partially because I like their food selections. All buildings that were built by Sheetz and well set up.

The Natural Bridge State Park is a fun stop near Roanoke. The walk to the Natural Bridge from the Visitor Center is pretty short so doesn't take that much time. There are also a few other easy trails.

Have fun!

Back