ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

Two same size/weight batteries
One has 5000 cells, one has 2000 cells
More cells wins?

Or is it just, bigger wins?
In the Rivians case yes... For now.
I have no idea what the battery configuration the other brands use.

I'd put aerodynamics in load.

The chemistry is a variable I didn't know about.

Is there any theoretical limit to the size (smallness) of a XXX mile battery?
Among automakers, Japanese Toyota Motors has taken the lead with more the 1,000 solid-state battery patents. Last month, it said that it is preparing to mass-produce solid-state batteries by 2027 or 2028.Mar 6, 2024.

Toyota figured out early on if you couldn't get the mileage. EVS didn't make sense. They went to work on solid state batteries and it looks like they're getting close.

So do salad state batteries use less resources?
or do they just weigh less?

So do salad state batteries use less resources?
or do they just weigh less?
Not sure about resources but they are supposed to be more energy dense so less weight per kwh. But it depends on the dressing

I hope Toyota's solid state batteries will actually be sold someday but it's hard not to be suspicious that the automaker that's probably the farthest behind in current EV tech is going to leap frog everyone.

What better way to sell more ICE engines then to tell everyone EVs aren't good enough yet, and to wait for some future panacea they'll never actually release

Last edited:
They have cells in them. Dom and I have 7,776 cells and one more in the flash light in the door. They are about the size of a D battery all connected together. More cells more range.
And the only factor I would add is aero dynamics, which are more important relatively speaking than weight.

What better way to sell more ICE engines then to tell everyone EVs aren't good enough yet, and to wait for some future panacea they'll never actually release
I don't think you understand the whole application thing. Current EVs don't work for everybody. Someday? Who knows.

Related to the idea of moving based on EV technology but on water, not roads . . .

Happened to catch the last part of the E1 race on TV. Think Formula 1 on water. It's a race series going around the world with "foiling electric raceboats." A consideration is the amount of noise that marine life are subjected to during a traditional powder boat race. Second video is about testing done to compare an E1 racing boat to a traditional power boat. The Racebird prototype was introduced in 2021.

May 2024

November 2023

Back