ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

Snapped a pick of Otisco’s Stainless Steel Lunar Lander on St Patrick’s Day 2022 on the way to go ski Song.
Happy Memorial Day weekend.

I can't wait to see the price on this Kia EV 3. Though I am worried that based on the range this will be more than the 30k they were hinting at. Launch video below with the theme that they want this to be an EV for all. Range will be up to 370 miles which makes me nervous they the tesla and rivian prices and will price in 40s.

Interesting speculation that the e3 will be 30-35k. That means (if it is tax credit eligible) after the credit you are looking at 28k. It is 169 inches long and will come out (allegedly) in 2025. R3 will be 161 inches long (and is smaller than an CRV).

I can't wait to see the price on this Kia EV 3. Though I am worried that based on the range this will be more than the 30k they were hinting at. Launch video below with the theme that they want this to be an EV for all. Range will be up to 370 miles which makes me nervous they the tesla and rivian prices and will price in 40s.

Basically the size of a Golf. I love that an EV for 28K will be for sale, but I don't expect it will do much volume here in the US. VW stopped selling regular Golfs cause no one was interested in them, they only sell the GTI and Rs now.

Don't think it would ever happen but if Kia/Hyundai put the new CATL semi solid state battery in the EV9 and got that thing up to 450 miles it would be a game changer. That would be enough to go to Killington in the cold with capacity to spare.

What factors determine range?

Size of battery
Weight of car
Load (terrain and acceleration)
Temperature
Electric usage for things outside of the drive train

What else? Does software matter?

If all things are equal shouldn't ranges be equivalent?

If two cars weight the same and have the same size battery, shouldn't they go the same distance under identical conditions?

Why does this car have 375 miles of range? Is that something other cars of the same size will be able to do?

All of that plus aerodynamics and battery chemistry which determines energy density. Current LFP batteries are less dense but are cheaper vs Lion which are denser but pricer. All of this is gonna change in the next few years though.

What factors determine range?

Size of battery
Weight of car
Load (terrain and acceleration)
Temperature
Electric usage for things outside of the drive train

What else? Does software matter?

If all things are equal shouldn't ranges be equivalent?

If two cars weight the same and have the same size battery, shouldn't they go the same distance under identical conditions?

Why does this car have 375 miles of range? Is that something other cars of the same size will be able to do?
They have cells in them. Dom and I have 7,776 cells and one more in the flash light in the door. They are about the size of a D battery all connected together. More cells more range.

They have cells in them. Dom and I have 7,776 cells and one more in the flash light in the door. They are about the size of a D battery all connected together. More cells more range.
Two same size/weight batteries
One has 5000 cells, one has 2000 cells
More cells wins?

Or is it just, bigger wins?

All of that plus aerodynamics and battery chemistry which determines energy density. Current LFP batteries are less dense but are cheaper vs Lion which are denser but pricer. All of this is gonna change in the next few years though.
I'd put aerodynamics in load.

The chemistry is a variable I didn't know about.

Is there any theoretical limit to the size (smallness) of a XXX mile battery?

Back