ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

The idea that Ford is going to even produce a $39k pickup is laughable. Good luck finding one.
Tesla pulled the same crap with the Model 3.
Yep, proof is in the pudding. Right now all we're getting is lip service. Wonder why they aren't talking about the 100's of 1000's of trucks that are waiting for chips that they can't ship.

What factors drive up the price? Demand, everybody wants it? Or...

Who gets the "extra" money?
Right now it's supply and demand, it's a sellers market. Name your price, and if someone doesn't want to buy it the next guy in the door will. I smh all day long at the prices that metal is going for these days and there's no end to this in sight.

What factors drive up the price? Demand, everybody wants it? Or...

Who gets the "extra" money?
People who actually use their trucks for work are buying F250/F350. So the F150 will be for the people who use their trucks for daily drivers and no daily driver wants a stripper truck. The F150 buyers will want more upscale features that they are getting on trucks today. Ford will make sure those Federal and State discounts go to custormers who pay more for the truck.

People who actually use their trucks for work are buying F250/F350. So the F150 will be for the people who use their trucks for daily drivers and no daily driver wants a stripper truck. The F150 buyers will want more upscale features that they are getting on trucks today. Ford will make sure those Federal and State discounts go to custormers who pay more for the truck.
Well, that's not the market that Ford is thinking about apparently.

" . . .
The F-150 Lightning, in contrast, is aimed at small businesses and corporate customers such as building contractors and mining and construction companies that buy lots of rugged pickups. These buyers typically care not just about the sticker price of a truck but also how much it costs to operate and maintain. Electric vehicles tend to cost more to buy but less to own than conventional cars and trucks because they have fewer parts and electricity is cheaper than gasoline or diesel on a per mile basis.

“There are a lot of big fleets who have been looking for green solutions but haven’t had any answers until now,” William C. Ford Jr., the company’s chairman and a great-grandson of Henry Ford, said in an interview.

The truck is expected to go on sale next spring, with a starting price of $39,974 for a model that can travel 230 miles on a full charge. A version with a range of 300 miles starts at $59,974.

Ford’s chief executive, Jim Farley, told CNBC on Thursday that the company had taken reservations for 20,000 Lightning trucks in less than 12 hours after its Wednesday event.
. . ."

I hate to be the one to break this to Ford, but ain't no contractor going to be buying a F150 (X is correct in that the F250 is the one) that can only go 200 miles without getting plugged in. Not to mention it will only tow 10,000lbs. The ones buying these will not use them as trucks.

This is all a bunch of hype

Last edited:
I hate to be the one to break this to Ford, but ain't no contractor going to be buying a F150 (X is correct in that the F250 is the one) that can only go 200 miles without getting plugged in. Not to mention it will only tow 10,000lbs. The ones buying these will not use them as trucks.

This is all a bunch of hype
I think Ford will sell a gizzilon of these. Not to contractors true.

Time will certainly tell but I don't think they're going to be readily available. Just like most introductions in the auto world, base models are almost impossible to find, but we have this xxxxxx model that's only xxxxxx more.

I think they’ll sell a gazillion of them and some contractors will for sure get them. But mostly, it’ll be old white dudes in golf course retirement communities. Those guys never drive anywhere or haul anything, but they love trucks. 10,000 pounds is pretty good towing capacity for most people. And they are AWD off the rip. And they have that front trunk thingy. Scarcity at the beginning will just drive up interest more.

Also, whoever is doing the marketing for this thing is a genius. Everyone in my circles seems to be talking about it.

I think there might be a market for these trucks on a road crew. I see lots of 2WD 1/2 ton trucks carrying cones around, etc. They run all day long, that could be the only catch, as I'm not sure how they would do under those conditions.

It will be interesting to see all of this unfold. Part of me feels as if we have the cart in front of the horse with these EV's. It pretty common knowledge that we don't have the infrastructure to handle a massive influx of EV's, just yet.

The car makers want to transition to EVs quickly because they’re very cheap to make in comparison to the current standard. ICE and transmissions are complex and expensive.
electric motors are a magnet and some wire.
batteries are becoming cheap too

Back