ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

We are still driving a rental, as my wife's car is out of action from vandalism.

The Nissan Sentra, nice little car, got 41 round trip into the mountains (Adk) and back. 10 MPG more then a recent trip in the CRV hybrid. To be fair the Sentra is a much smaller car without AWD, but pretty much has me set on a ICE pickup when we move late this year.
Camp and I (seemingly diametrically opposed on ICE) agree that EV applications are currently limited in practical day to day use cases in some situations. Now if I would only stop using quasi-SAT words. More like 9th grade vocabulary words which can still be fancy.

Had a 2wd Tundra in Copper and enjoyed it other than the fact it was hard to park and turn. I think that is a full size pickup. Felt full size.

What was the mileage?
haha i have no idea. We filled it back up when dropping off to rental agency, probably 11 gallons round trip denver airport to copper. But ice are less efficient at that level of altitude due to less gas/oxygen to combust. EVs I think are more efficient at altitude because less gas to give drag but i don't know that is just thinking logically.

Pulling at 185kw per hour at 54 pc charge. That is pretty great. 23 degrees. 0.6 miles out of my way.

Attachments

• IMG_2858.png
    IMG_2858.png
    97.1 KB · Views: 36
Yeah but I don't think I'm that close and here's why:
1. I have a 2014 CRV EXL AWD that has 100K miles and it's still in excellent condition so no reason to replace.
2. I hate spending money on cars and therefore don't crave to replace a vehicle.
3. My 2014 CRV is still worth like $12K on trade so it's held its value quite well.
4. I have very high expectations for the length of useable life of my vehicles with minimal maintenance costs.
5. We only drive both our CRV's about 10K/year each so we don't spend a fortune on gas.
6. A full EV has many issues that concern me including; range, charge time, battery degradation with each charge cycle, not being able to bring a can of gas roadside to fill up if you run out, longevity of the vehicle without spending much on maintenance and good resale value.
7. I really expect my vehicles to still be running great at 10 years old and I've not seen how EV's will fare.
8. A plug in Hybrid might be an option but honestly I need to see how reliable and maintenance free these things are after being driven for 5+ years.

I know I will probably look in the next year or 2 to replace my 2014 CRV, but for now I'm just going to sit on the sidelines and enjoy watching the EV/Plug-in Hybrid tech evolve. If I'm not convinced by the new tech then I'll be buying another ICE... probably another Honda SUV or maybe Subaru.
Hertz is selling their EVs gonna replace em with gassers.

Yep, and they are going to lose their asses on them.
But what a deal for whoever gets them. If you are a commuter that drives 80-200 miles per day these would be a great buy. Hertz jumped before thinking. EV's only make sense for people that charge at home.
Someone that puts 25k miles oo their vehicle from commuting would lower their monthly fuel and maintenance bill by 70%. And never have to pump gas again.

Back