ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

NY is the safest big city in the US:https://www.forbes.com/sites/laurab...st-dangerous-cities-for-2023/?sh=1aeae090309a
(Honolulu is not a big city.)

mm
What's the cut off for big? how many big cities are there in the US?
The Forbes article used 300K as the cut-off for which cities to consider. Per usual, need to consider context. While Raleigh is a city in it's own right, the general metropolitan area includes Cary (next to Raleigh in many places) and the surrounding areas within a 45 minute drive of downtown Raleigh. Population of Raleigh about 500K and the population of Charlotte is about 900K. Presumably NYC includes all 5 boroughs. Is Boston just the city or does it include the surrounding townships?

15 Safest Large Cities in the US (with a population over 300,000)

1. Honolulu, Hawaii
  2. Virginia Beach, Virginia
  3. Henderson, Nevada
  4. El Paso, Texas
  5. New York City
  6. San Diego, California
  7. Mesa, Arizona
  8. Charlotte, North Carolina
  9. San Jose, California
  10. Boston, Massachusetts
  11. Raleigh, North Carolina
  12. Arlington, Texas
  13. Santa Ana, California
  14. Omaha, Nebraska
  15. Austin, Texas

Honolulu is 350 thousand, NYC is 9 million.

The big surprise was that El Paso is on that list. IT's a boarder town just across the Rio Grande from Juarez. With all the violence in Mexico and immigration, I would have thought EP was pretty dangerous.
El Paso has reputation for being very safe.

It was a joke
I know, but I pushed back because the joke was based on the false premise that NYC is some kind of unique crime ridden hellscape. That's the cable news narrative but data tells a different story. You wouldn't make that joke about Rochester, but the homicide rate there is SEVEN TIMES the NYC rate. The NYC homicide rate is actually less than the US average. https://www.rit.edu/liberalarts/sites/rit.edu.liberalarts/files/docs/CRIM Resources/CPSI Working Paper 2022.01_Homicide Paper 1.pdf
The bigger issue is that cable news (and TV news generally) presents a sensational version of the truth that creates bad news addicts. The business model is to make you unhappy, and it distorts the discussion of every public issue. Turn off the TV and read something.

mm

I know, but I pushed back because the joke was based on the false premise that NYC is some kind of unique crime ridden hellscape. That's the cable news narrative but data tells a different story. You wouldn't make that joke about Rochester, but the homicide rate there is SEVEN TIMES the NYC rate. The NYC homicide rate is actually less than the US average. https://www.rit.edu/liberalarts/sites/rit.edu.liberalarts/files/docs/CRIM Resources/CPSI Working Paper 2022.01_Homicide Paper 1.pdf
The bigger issue is that cable news (and TV news generally) presents a sensational version of the truth that creates bad news addicts. The business model is to make you unhappy, and it distorts the discussion of every public issue. Turn off the TV and read something.

mm
Holy crap, bro.

It's charging at 11 Kw. 24 miles per hour. What are you getting from your home charger?
I am on a 50 amp (delivers 40 amp) and I get 20 mph. 11k2 at 24 mph sounds right to me - 60 amp delivers 48 amps (I think) so you should get 20 percent faster than me. Good stuff.

Came back from the beach overnight and topped off at an Electrify America (I ran the climate too high overnight!). Even at the high speed charger close to half range was $17. That's still like $35 for a 'fill up' in the most expensive way to charge.

If you haven't done it, I suggest looking into Time of Use plan. Our utility has it, 11-7 am is a 40% discount, so I charge in that period 95% of the time.

Good stuff hope you are enjoying it.

NACS moves ahead as Rivian makes agreement with Tesla.

June 20, 2023
The comments here are interesting.

Back