ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

I don’t know- mostly just worse mpg on the highway I think. The one Brownski specific variable which hurt was the long drive to Killington with a cargo box and 2 kayaks on the roof. Then the cargo box just stayed there for a week or two cause I procrastinated taking it off. But driving back from PA and to college and back, it was not heavily loaded, nothing on the roof.

I don’t know- mostly just worse mpg on the highway I think. The one Brownski specific variable which hurt was the long drive to Killington with a cargo box and 2 kayaks on the roof. Then the cargo box just stayed there for a week or two cause I procrastinated taking it off. But driving back from PA and to college and back, it was not heavily loaded, nothing on the roof.

The roof box is a killer on any car. 5mpg in my experience. Even bars with no air dam cost me almost as much, maybe 4mpg. Air dam got it down to maybe 2mpg

One thing about a hybrid, if you drive aggressively on the highway, it's not worth much. My old CRV at 68 mph was probably 5mpg better than the new hybrid. Hybrids shine in stop and go, and in the suburbs 40mph type driving.

The roof box is a killer on any car. 5mpg in my experience. Even bars with no air dam cost me almost as much, maybe 4mpg. Air dam got it down to maybe 2mpg

One thing about a hybrid, if you drive aggressively on the highway, it's not worth much. My old CRV at 68 mph was probably 5mpg better than the new hybrid. Hybrids shine in stop and go, and in the suburbs 40mph type driving.
That's why I wanted a diesel.... 45 mpg on the highway, north Jersey to Lake Placid on less than a half tank of fuel.... too bad the dieselgate emissions fix was FUBAR.

The gasoline engine Fortunate Son has delivered 33 highway mpg when I drive with discipline. Better than sticker mileage.

Back