ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

I watched about half it's pretty Cool how. Much? Space you get when you put all the seats down on that thing.
It is flat size of queen size bed. I posted pic w my daughter and me camping near Belle

Planning to sign solar contract tomorrow. The gov is paying about 39 percent of the bill (after the fact tax rebates) low interest financing for most of it.

I have to pay for the battery and install out of pocket (1/2 upfront and 1/2 when turned on).

It will take me to generating 129% of my pre Rivian electric usage or 83% of my post Rivian usage assuming all charging at home. With Riv and a second small EV just for errands I would guess 75-80% of family consumption. Second EV coming in 5 years and will be cheapest safe one available likely a Tesla model 2 or VW rabbit ev equivalent or Chevy bolt.

They have a five month backlog(!) to do the work so I won't be turned on until the fall.

@DomB have you looked the new rates LIPA approved? They are as low as 13cents after midnight but higher in the afternoon. If you are net metering you should turn your panels west to maximize generating in the high price afternoon hours.

mm

@DomB have you looked the new rates LIPA approved? They are as low as 13cents after midnight but higher in the afternoon. If you are net metering you should turn your panels west to maximize generating in the high price afternoon hours.

mm
Hey. Right now I do time of use because of the EV - it is a 60% discount from 11 pm to 6 am.

I have to figure out the strategies, as with a battery there are some arbitrage strategies that I don't know yet.

If you use a time of use plan, though, on net metering you can only apply your excess against the time of day when it was generated. Which I think generally means you won't want a time of use plan. (IE I will always be generating during the day). Batteries, again, change the analysis. But I don't know the analysis yet!

Hey. Right now I do time of use because of the EV - it is a 60% discount from 11 pm to 6 am.

I have to figure out the strategies, as with a battery there are some arbitrage strategies that I don't know yet.

If you use a time of use plan, though, on net metering you can only apply your excess against the time of day when it was generated. Which I think generally means you won't want a time of use plan. (IE I will always be generating during the day). Batteries, again, change the analysis. But I don't know the analysis yet!
You should look at the new rates. You might need to take the time of use plan for cheap power at night even if you have an EV and the trend is to make the net metering deal worse, especially for new installations. People are telling me the new rates are a big change. Don’t assume you can still get what they were offering last year.

mm

Last edited:
You should look at the new rates. You might need to take the time of use plan for cheap power at night even if you have an EV and the trend is to make the net metering deal worse, especially for new installations. People are telling me the new rates are a big change. Don’t assume you can still get what they were offering last year.

mm
Absolutely. Prior to January, you actually got a check every month when you plugged in your EV at night. Now, they just give you a discount. Which is fine with me since it is a 40% discount.

And sorry, I think I pay 60% of the rate to get a 40% discount with the time of use plan. Not a 60% discount. Still pretty sweet.

Some info on Rivian's in-house 'enduro' motors. Some lesser HP but more efficient. And not outsourced unlike the quad which brings cost down. With software these should go 0-60 in 3.5 seconds so the loss of house power probably won't be noticeable.

Separately I haven't seen an EDV (the delivery van) in the wild delivering but heard of it locally on Long Island. I have seen them parked at an Amazon facility that you can see from the highway.

I think that is such an awesome use case and reduction of emissions - think about the sprinter or ram vans that apparently don't go more than 200 miles a day. Ford has a competitor EV van for commercial that seems to be doing well. Can't remember name.

Separately I haven't seen an EDV (the delivery van) in the wild delivering but heard of it locally on Long Island. I have seen them parked at an Amazon facility that you can see from the highway.

I think that is such an awesome use case and reduction of emissions - think about the sprinter or ram vans that apparently don't go more than 200 miles a day. Ford has a competitor EV van for commercial that seems to be doing well. Can't remember name.
i see them all the time in Rockland County

Back