ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

Glad to hear. I am not sure I would have taken that in an ice storm. Assuming I felt I could drive it (not sure I would feel comfortable) I would be too worried about other cars sliding into me. For some reason most don’t slow down enough around that one brutal curve a few miles from 84….
There’s always somewhere with sketchy conditions. My original point was that it is not a bad thing that all the electronic nannies disable themselves when they are no longer capable of managing the vehicle in those conditions. Every driver should understand that but apparently some don’t.

mm

Sorry to hijack this thread, but going to Gore tomorrow and I see there are 6 level 2 chargers in the main lot. Has anyone used these recently? Are they in good condition (plugshare suggests they are) and does anyone have any idea when they are typically full? Thanks!

Last edited:
Sorry to hijack this thread, but going to Gore tomorrow and I see there are 6 level 2 chargers in the main lot. Has anyone used these recently? Are they in good condition (plugshare suggests they are) and does anyone have any idea when they are typically full? Thanks!
Not a highjack that is what this thread is for.

You need to have the charge point app, then they are free. Get there by 8. Even 8:15 some risk they will be full. If you have an ev they let you park there. Open the app, look at the charger number, start the charge through the app.

As a back up you can use a credit card. It is free either way.

If no one else parks on your charger, you get 6kw an hour, which is pretty good. If a second car comes, they split in half to 3 kw which is better than nothing.

I used them all last week. They worked well.

That is helpful...8 is tough, so will probably do a quick charge in Albany or at the EvolveNY off exit 17 just to be safe. Thanks!

That is helpful...8 is tough, so will probably do a quick charge in Albany or at the EvolveNY off exit 17 just to be safe. Thanks!
I suggest you use the shell recharge app - which is seamless. Otherwise I have heard it can be a pain with credit cards. Have only used the app.

Clifton Park is also very close to highway. Moreau is the closest to Gore, maybe 25 miles south.

Thanks! EA is free, so that is my top choice when available. Topped off very briefly at the EA in Albany while getting breakfast on the way up. Arrived at 8:45 and lucked out getting the last charger. They are pretty slow, but got enough juice to make it all the way back to EA in Albany.

Gore was fantastic today! Minimal lines, good groomers, and glades were in pretty good shape. Had a great day!

p.s. Shout out to Ski NY for running the 3rd/4th grade passport program! In addition to the free charging, I got a free ticket for the kid.

Thanks! EA is free, so that is my top choice when available. Topped off very briefly at the EA in Albany while getting breakfast on the way up. Arrived at 8:45 and lucked out getting the last charger. They are pretty slow, but got enough juice to make it all the way back to EA in Albany.

Gore was fantastic today! Minimal lines, good groomers, and glades were in pretty good shape. Had a great day!

p.s. Shout out to Ski NY for running the 3rd/4th grade passport program! In addition to the free charging, I got a free ticket for the kid.

Might as well stick this here too. I would guess this list will keep growing.

Screen Shot 2023-02-27 at 9.50.28 AM.jpg

Hey! Would you mind telling me your experience with EA? Some of the negative videos that Jason loves ;)are about them, and I haven't charged on them yet, so very curious about the intel.
Yes to the ID.4! It comes with three years of free 30-minute sessions, so I try to use when traveling if it isn't out of the way. The majority of my charging is at home these days. I've charged less than ten times with EA since I only use on trips. I have read a lot of horror stories, but I haven't had any issues. So far...
  • Albany, NY (6 stations) - I have charged multiple times. Never had to wait and no issues. It is front of a Walmart, but also has a Panera and McDonalds right there.
  • Stratford, CT (8 stations) - I have charged a few times and never had to wait. I had limited speeds on one of the chargers (low 30s, which suggests the charger had issues with cooling) but moved to another charger and got slightly better speeds (which were limited by my cold battery). At least one has been offline each time. Directly next to a McDonalds and a decent Asian restaurant.
  • Newburgh, NY (4 stations) - This was my first charge to test and I didn't have any issues. There are only four stations (I just opened the app to verify and 1 shows "in-use" and 3 show "unavailable"...so not great)
  • Paramus, NJ (6 stations) - Only one charge, but no issues. Right next to the mall and Rt 17. I was able to drive up and charge, but it was full while I was there.
Since this is a skiing site, I have done fast charging at these locations on ski trips with success:
  • Bennington, VT - There is a 100kW FLO fast charger right behind the Town Office within a block of the main intersection. Very close walk to restaurants, coffee shop, book store, etc. I used it twice and was able to pull up and charge both times on a weekend (8 AM & 5PM), but there is only one plug, but there are multiple level 2 charging options int he same parking lot as backups.
  • Manchester, VT - There is a 50kW EVgo charger right by the bookstore with lots of restaurants and stores nearby. I was able to pull up and charge both times at max speed around 9PMish, but there is only a single plug. This also has level 2 charging, as a backup.
  • Stewart Shop #276 (Northway Exit 17N) - There are four chargers and two had issues...one the touchscreen didn't work and one with the credit card reader. The other two were working well and I was able to charge at a decent speed. As you suggested, I'll try using the Shell Recharge app next time!
Lastly, if going to Killington...they have a ton of free level 2 charging. I went last week and was able to charge overnight in the Upper Snowshed lodge for free!

Yes to the ID.4! It comes with three years of free 30-minute sessions, so I try to use when traveling if it isn't out of the way. The majority of my charging is at home these days. I've charged less than ten times with EA since I only use on trips. I have read a lot of horror stories, but I haven't had any issues. So far...
  • Albany, NY (6 stations) - I have charged multiple times. Never had to wait and no issues. It is front of a Walmart, but also has a Panera and McDonalds right there.
  • Stratford, CT (8 stations) - I have charged a few times and never had to wait. I had limited speeds on one of the chargers (low 30s, which suggests the charger had issues with cooling) but moved to another charger and got slightly better speeds (which were limited by my cold battery). At least one has been offline each time. Directly next to a McDonalds and a decent Asian restaurant.
  • Newburgh, NY (4 stations) - This was my first charge to test and I didn't have any issues. There are only four stations (I just opened the app to verify and 1 shows "in-use" and 3 show "unavailable"...so not great)
  • Paramus, NJ (6 stations) - Only one charge, but no issues. Right next to the mall and Rt 17. I was able to drive up and charge, but it was full while I was there.
Since this is a skiing site, I have done fast charging at these locations on ski trips with success:
  • Bennington, VT - There is a 100kW FLO fast charger right behind the Town Office within a block of the main intersection. Very close walk to restaurants, coffee shop, book store, etc. I used it twice and was able to pull up and charge both times on a weekend (8 AM & 5PM), but there is only one plug, but there are multiple level 2 charging options int he same parking lot as backups.
  • Manchester, VT - There is a 50kW EVgo charger right by the bookstore with lots of restaurants and stores nearby. I was able to pull up and charge both times at max speed around 9PMish, but there is only a single plug. This also has level 2 charging, as a backup.
  • Stewart Shop #276 (Northway Exit 17N) - There are four chargers and two had issues...one the touchscreen didn't work and one with the credit card reader. The other two were working well and I was able to charge at a decent speed. As you suggested, I'll try using the Shell Recharge app next time!
Lastly, if going to Killington...they have a ton of free level 2 charging. I went last week and was able to charge overnight in the Upper Snowshed lodge for free!
Great stuff. I have confirmed the following EVolveNY locations work great (150-350kw, can be viewed in map on Shell Recharge App):
-Schroon Lake
-Saratoga Springs
-Clifton Park
-LaGrangeville (somewhat near Fishkill)

Back