ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

Charging seems to be an issue. It just too much of a crap shoot

Charging seems to be an issue. It just too much of a crap shoot
While I generally agree with you, I firmly believe it is not an issue in NY state. My experience is limited but phenomenal. Two high speed charges with no backup plan on NY's own charging network.

Going to Gore tomorrow morning for a week. Will have more anecdotal evidence at the end of next week.

EVs right now are NOT for everyone. I knew what I was getting into; I just wanted an electric three row vehicle, so if I WANTED that, I had one choice. So far, I am happier than expected with my choice, even with high expectations. That may change and I may end up hating it, but I will try my best to be honest.

My two charges away from home have pulled 120-150 miles in TWENTY minutes flawlessly. I will post a google video link if I can where within a minute I am pulling full power from the charger.

While I generally agree with you, I firmly believe it is not an issue in NY state. My experience is limited but phenomenal. Two high speed charges with no backup plan on NY's own charging network.

Going to Gore tomorrow morning for a week. Will have more anecdotal evidence at the end of next week.

EVs right now are NOT for everyone. I knew what I was getting into; I just wanted an electric three row vehicle, so if I WANTED that, I had one choice. So far, I am happier than expected with my choice, even with high expectations. That may change and I may end up hating it, but I will try my best to be honest.
Gore is about 240 miles from my house : ). Belle is 144.

Cost? Compared to gas

Cost? Compared to gas
Filling up at home is $15 for 300 miles most efficent 280 for beat a corvette and 270 for sport mode blow em all away except a few super cars and a tesla plaid.

Hi speed charger on the hwy $40 10-88%. 225 miles of range. More expensive but still less than a CRV, let alone a Tahoe which I view as comprable interior/storage.

These I can post to prove, baby!

Cost? Compared to gas
Picture 1 - $4.80 for 100 miles last night at home.

Picture 2 - $39.99 for 105kw (about 230-250 miles) at high speed charger while I ate. This is the one I shut off because we were still eating. I probably would have stopped 20-30 min if I could herd my family faster.

Attachments

• A416DE1C-65FA-4BC1-B6B1-E57C93D29247.png
    A416DE1C-65FA-4BC1-B6B1-E57C93D29247.png
    433.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 26C22243-6CA6-4587-B2A6-6DF5EEDFA5CA.png
    26C22243-6CA6-4587-B2A6-6DF5EEDFA5CA.png
    373.2 KB · Views: 28
At home I only charge between 11 pm and 6 am to get a 40 percent discount. I broke that period once to get to 100 percent before my last Belle trip.

Now that I understand the BMS battery management system better, I will charge to 100 percent over night tonight before leaving tomorrow at 10 am. The BMS prevents the battery from charging to 100 percent thought you should not charge to 100 and leave it sitting for 24 hours.

And the number one recommended ev (taking into account t cost performance ease of use and charging) - the 25k Chevy bolt which would be 15.5k for most in NY after fed and state rebates. What new car cma you get for 16 k in the US?

I will be buying one in 3-5 years to replace the 9 year old Impreza…. Maybe I will just wait until 12 yo son is 17/driving….

Lightening made the cut as well as the R1t.
Here's the full list:

1:20 - Chevrolet Bolt EV
3:08 - Porsche Taycan
5:08 - BMW iX
6:38 - Hyundai IONIQ 5
8:08 - Kia EV6
9:15 - BMW i7
10:49 - Ford F-150 Lightning
12:49 - Rivian R1T
14:32 - Tesla Model 3
16:00 - Tesla Model Y

He said the list was in "no particular order" in the introduction, although he does tend to recommend the ones that come later the most. Looks like the Kia EV6 and the Hyundai IONIQ 5 are about the same price, $45K-$50K depending on the trim.

Back