ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

I hope that there is a hybrid tacoma model in the future
You may find it to be a hydrogen internal combustion engine powered Tacoma. Toyota is in deep exploring/testing the hydrogen motors.

Automotive News has a great article regarding this but you have to have a subscription to read it.

You may find it to be a hydrogen internal combustion engine powered Tacoma. Toyota is in deep exploring/testing the hydrogen motors.

Automotive News has a great article regarding this but you have to have a subscription to read it.
PLUG!!!

To me hybrid solves a lot of it.
Hybrids are not the answer. It just doubles the complexity of the vehicle and the infrastructure to support it, while limiting the environmental benefits. The real goal now is to electrify everything. Hybrids just get in the way of electrifying transportation. IT's like beta vs VHS. Sometimes the second best becomes dominant because it arrives before the perfect solution.

mm

...short term it is true EVs are less green when you take into mfg process. The numbers I have seen is about 18,000 miles, the EV makes up the gap. Then, unless you live in a dirty electricity generating state (i.e. West Virginia) the EV has much lower - to nearly 0 emission tied to it. For example, Vermont's energy is ridiculously clean and New York's is surprisingly clean.
You need to be skeptical about environmental issues. Whether or not EVs are less green to manufacture than RICE vehicles requires estimating the emissions related to manufacturing requires assumptions, such as the fuel mix of the electric system serving the manyfacturer. There are sthose who want to discredit EVs (and all environmental impovemets) for their own reasons, and some of the studies they commission include some sketchy assumptions. The real answer is EVs are part of transition to a low emission green energy economy, and manufacturing processes that are dirty today will be cleaned up in the future. That's the plan, whether it works or not is a different issue.

The next knock is cost, which is pretty valid...
That's what my Grampa said until Model Ts replaced Packards. The way to make the transition to EVs happen is to make everyone want one. You do that by making cars everyone wants, not by making electric Yugos. The cars everyone wants are always expensive.

The next knock is range anxiety, which might be valid for backcountry or offroading, but there are pretty rugged trails that you can be on with access to charging.
That's mostly an infrastructure problem. It will go away when EVs reach a critical mass. Some day you'll give up your RICE vehicle because it's too hard to find somewhere to gas up.

mm

I wouldn’t put too much stock in it. The military tries out all kinds of stuff. They are probably buying one of everything just to gauge what’s possible and define requirements for a future program
Military tries all kinds of stuff, and a lot of it works. Computers, transistors, silicone chips, the internet all started in the military. They are also involved in small scale electric generation that can't be easily detected or knocked out.

mm

doubles the complexity of the vehicle and the infrastructure to support it,
That’s with current hybrids. A diesel electric (or gas or hydrogen) scaled down to run a Tacoma or f150 sized truck might be crazy efficient
The real goal now is to electrify everything.
What do you think about power generation? EVs aren’t really just electric. They’re powered by whatever generates the electricity.

You need to be skeptical about environmental issues. Whether or not EVs are less green to manufacture than RICE vehicles requires estimating the emissions related to manufacturing requires assumptions, such as the fuel mix of the electric system serving the manyfacturer. There are sthose who want to discredit EVs (and all environmental impovemets) for their own reasons, and some of the studies they commission include some sketchy assumptions. The real answer is EVs are part of transition to a low emission green energy economy, and manufacturing processes that are dirty today will be cleaned up in the future. That's the plan, whether it works or not is a different issue.

That's what my Grampa said until Model Ts replaced Packards. The way to make the transition to EVs happen is to make everyone want one. You do that by making cars everyone wants, not by making electric Yugos. The cars everyone wants are always expensive.

That's mostly an infrastructure problem. It will go away when EVs reach a critical mass. Some day you'll give up your RICE vehicle because it's too hard to find somewhere to gas up.

mm
It's it me or have you changed your tune in the past couple of years? Seems I remember you disparaging ev a couple of years ago.

Back