ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

On road trips we only stop when we need gas, so 5-6 hrs...i still think the key to wide spread ev acceptance is quick charging , 10 mins max...preferably 5-7 mins
Not only quick charging, but also reliable charging away from home. Seems clear that one reason Tesla is still the better bet for a BEV is the Tesla charging network.

I stopped by a "farm adventure" mini-resort in northwest Indiana in the past week. Fair Oaks Farms recently upgraded from 2 Tesla chargers to a dozen chargers. There were 4 Teslas charging on a Friday and 2 on a Tuesday. The four last week all had Indiana plates.

Rivian has promised an "adventure network" for charging but it's going to be a while before that's really useful.

Fair Oaks Tesla - 1.jpeg

I only watched a few seconds. What critical tasks did he accomplished on this drive? Did he save a life?
Bottom line seemed to be that his house and neighborhood was likely to be completely flooded out within a few hours due to incoming inland flooding. Had he stayed, the car would have been history and his friend would also have needed to be rescued. He had solar power and had been letting neighbors who were already flooded out stay in his house. They were going to hope for the best.

Point was that he drove his Tesla through deep water at speed and made it through. He is clearly not someone who goes off-roading.

I
I can’t believe they write news stories now that are just: “here are 2 anecdotes, go tell all your friends!”

The story didn’t even have any statistics as to how common this sort of thing is. It didn’t even have any graphs!!!

... We also need to remember that EV, and especially pre-owned EV's are relatively new to the market. To support this, some of the auctions I attend have big-ass signs, "All EV's are sold 100% as-is". That speaks volumes. EV's are starting to show up more and more, the pre-owned market for them is very soft. They are a tough sell at dealer auctions.
Do ya get money back from the government if ya but a used EV?
If not, why not?

Yes it cost a boat load to replace a battery
I can remember back in the 60’s 70’ it was Relatively common place to have to replace an engine after 70,000 miles or at least have it rebuilt that goes the same for transmissions too
Just saying
It different but the same

Yes it cost a boat load to replace a battery
I can remember back in the 60’s 70’ it was Relatively common place to have to replace an engine after 70,000 miles or at least have it rebuilt that goes the same for transmissions too
Just saying
It different but the same
70s vintage cars driven daily on salted roads were on the way to being rust buckets after 5-6 years. $4K Transmissions have been a near certainty even today for some brands at 100k miles or less.

@Harvey I stumbled upon another interesting energy storage technology called solid hydrogen. This could be huge.

I will pay more attention to EVs when a manufacturer provides a sedan like the Honda Accord/Toy Camry/Chevy Malibu/Hyundai Sonata class in the 25k-35k price range and size. The Tesla 3 is a class smaller than these and starts just under $50k.

Back