ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

Sandy Munro and his staff ended up using a Ford Lightning during 48-hour power outage at their shop. They had a workshop scheduled for people who flew in from multiple countries.

September 1, 2022

Got to see a Lightning XLT in person today. There was a small event near where I live for EV vehicles sponsored by a local electric co-op. It was part of National Drive Electric Week 2022. Piedmont Electric ordered early on and have had it for a few months. It's assigned to one employee (the man in the red shirt). He's have a very good time driving it.

The frunk and the cab look very roomy up close. A third-party locking cover was added recently. Most of the stuff needed for the job the truck is used for was in the front.

Lightning in NC Sep2022 - 1.jpeg
Lightning in NC Sep2022 - 2.jpeg

The differences between the target markets for the Rivian R1T and the Ford F-150 Lightning were pretty obvious from the start. Not hard to find comparisons these days that are based on more than a quick look at a trade show. Both are in high demand for every model available. That's not likely to change any time soon.

June 30, 2022

There will be a Lightning at the Delmar Farmers Market in the Albany area on Oct. 1. Looks like there will be a Rivian R1T at the Kingston Farmers Market (6th annual EV event) this Saturday too. Quite a few EV events in NJ.

At some of the National Drive Electric Week events, it's possible to test drive an EV. I think the owner goes along as a passenger. There was a Chevy Bolt, a Nissan Leaf, and more than one Tesla Model 3 available to test drive yesterday at the event I checked out.

Registered EV vehicles for Delmar Farmers Market on Oct. 1
Screen Shot 2022-09-28 at 7.51.33 AM.jpg

Here's a related article from early September after California roasted this summer and power usage was in issue. By "ice" the article is talking about the cold stuff, not ICE as in gas engines.

September 12, 2022

Ever heard of a Kia EV6? Got to see one in person at an EV Rodeo yesterday. Found one of the rare videos showing an EV on snow by someone who detailed charging info for really cold temps. The guy is Canadian.

April 2022

Back