ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

Spotted on the Thruway.
View attachment 15749
Brown's pic is the 21'inch all season tire, and Rip's is the 20inch All Terrain. Range goes from 314 - 270 in all purpose mode with that change, but conserve mode on the AT gets you back up to 293. Incidentally, judging from the lack of clearance, this looks like the driver is in conserve mode (it drops to the lowest height setting for increased aero, and runs on only two of the four motors).

How can capacity not be a problem? They can’t handle what they currently have. Agreed it is on a limited peak usage basis, but what is the current percentage of households with an EV out there, 2-3% maybe? Change that number to 50% and everyday becomes peak usage. What is the possibility of increased capacity for electric generation in that whacked out state? NOTHING is allowed to go through except wind and solar and even those get the massive NIMBY lawsuits.
The system easily handles the EVs that are running now, with the exception of maybe 20 or 30 hours a year. It can handle 50% EVs as well. But the real program is to eliminate fossil fuels, at least in ground transportation and new construction, and to take all the carbon out of the electric system. That will require new capacity, but EVs are gonna provide revenue for it and grid connected batteries in parked cars will increase the system's capability to use intermittent renewables. And you will still charge your EV off peak, although the new peak may be much higher.
Of course that will be costly, but what is the cost of global warming if 10 feet of sea level rise may already be baked into the climate?

mm

Reactions: MC2
Soooooooo, we had to spend a few hundred K on lifts, hoists, and other crap just to be ready to change out batteries for EV's. Again, just to be able to change out a battery.

Hold on folks, it's gunna get expensive.

What is the possibility of increased capacity for electric generation in that whacked out state? NOTHING is allowed to go through except wind and solar and even those get the massive NIMBY lawsuits.
California (home of the strictest state environmental laws) is trying keep open a nuclear plant that was supposed to close soon. Environmental extremists are having to reconsider acceptable ways to fix our current issues rather than try to plan a utopia.

I suspect we'll continue to see adjustments globally to beef up electric power production if that means supporting EV infrastructure. Obviously, to your point, increased capacity needs to happen. But a lot of charging is going to be done overnight, when rates are lowest and charging is most convenient.

We are still a LONG ways off in rural areas like where I live. And especially those of us in rural areas that also live in townhouses, condos, apartments, etc. that don't have infrastructure. But, you gotta start somewhere. That is why most auto manufacturers are looking out 10 years and not flipping to 100% EVs yet, they know that the demand isn't there.

It took a while before gas stations were a ubiquitous fixture, even in small towns. Henry Ford and the early auto guys certainly didn't consider a lack of gas stations an issue when the first cars rolled off the line.

Personally, I think the industry needs to "sell" EVs to consumers based on performance rather than decreasing carbon. Full uptake also won't happen until EVs get cheap enough that most auto buyers can afford them. It'll take a lot longer than that for used EV saturation to the point we have majority of drivers in EVs. I think we are talking over 20 years at least...

This from my buddy,
His kid is a mechanical eng for toyota..

is flying to Denver on Sunday and spending the week with a bunch of co-workers driving Japanese Execs around in EV trucks to benchmark Toyota criteria - through mountains, pseudo camping (no sleeping outside), spending a day in Moab off road and then flying back from Vegas next Saturday. Sounds like a boondoggle for the execs…

It's possible. Subie seems to be in better shape than other manufactures so hopefully not.
With previous vehicles he was pretty adept at cutting the rotors when I got it to him on time. I know that is frowned on by a lot of guys nowadays but he’s pretty good at it. First set of brakes on the Impreza though so I don’t know if he’ll be able to this time

Back