ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

Let's talk cars.
Raise your hand if you'd purchase a pre-owned EV. If so, what manufacturers would you look at? What would you expect to pay for said EV? Would you be concerned about warranty?
Of course not. Hopefully, Lithium Ion batteries don't end up being our version of asbestos.

Let's talk cars.
Raise your hand if you'd purchase a pre-owned EV. If so, what manufacturers would you look at? What would you expect to pay for said EV? Would you be concerned about warranty?

We have generally been new car people, so no. I only buy used cars from my dad, and he doesn't drive much anymore so his cars last FOREVER.

My wife's Prius is 10 years old (130,000 miles), I'm pretty sure it had an 8 year battery warrantee. If we were buying that car, and the owner didn't have proof that the battery had been replaced, I'd ask for $3000(?) off to replace it. The rest of the car seems to last a long time.

A Prius with a bad battery is the same if you came across a car that needed an engine rebuild, would you buy it?

A little more detail in this article.

April 21, 2022
" . . .
The PistenBully 100 E uses a 126kwh battery and can operate for four hours per charge. Taos plans to install specialty charging stations for it in strategic locations throughout the mountain, and the resort has also installed 20 EV charging stations for guests and the local community to use. Taos secures its electricity through the Kit Carson Electric Cooperative, so the daytime electricity used at the EV charging stations is generated through solar arrays, furthering the resort’s net-zero commitment. Kit Carson Electric will be 100% daytime solar in June 2022.

The new PistonBully 100 E is expected to be delivered to Taos in Q1 2023 and will be deployed on the mountain during the Winter 23 ski season.
. . ."

The charging stations for EV cars at TSV are in a prime location relatively close to where parking lot shuttles drop people off.

Taos EV charge stations - 1.jpeg

A Prius with a bad battery is the same if you came across a car that needed an engine rebuild, would you buy it?
I'd be more concerned needing a battery than I would an engine rebuild. Engines are nothing but nuts and bolts, and I don't know squat about batteries.

I asked this question due to seeing an amazing amount of used Tesla's for sale at auctions. Blows my mind. No way would I buy a used one, but someone is.

^^ The article title is misleading. Or maybe I missed the part in the video where it clears snow, didn't watch it all.

I would by that for Neve for Christmas if it was $129. Looks like fun, but $1300 is a lot of money./

Back