ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

I asked out of courtesy and then posted here in case it would raise any issues for the blog. The engineers were very nice. They asked me not to take pictures of the interior or the display (both of which were very nice but hey I am coming from a CRV) so I did not.

Rivian had its earnings call yesterday. Takeaways -

1. after the price increase their orders are still pacing well (surprising to me)
  2. about 1/2 who cancelled uncancelled after prices went back (not stated but Rivian appears to have called them individually)
  3. They are reducing production target from 50k to 25k for the R1s, R1t and Amazon Van (note they are required to deliver 10k to Amazon this year) due to supply constraint (they say not production ramp).
  4. Production rates are increasing.
  5. They will push out R1ts before R1s (I think we knew that).
I take it they will produce 10-15k R1s. The speculation is there are 5-10k Launch Editions. I am still told I am on track for a May-June delivery. I have been seeing a lot of actual R1t deliveries on the Rivian blogs.

Price dropped after hours, largely on production cuts.

The first posted 70 mph range test (done in 52 degrees): 290 miles in conserve mode on 20 inch AT wheels, which is better than I would have expected. Rivian tells buyers that the 20s should have 10-15% less range than the EPA stated 314/316 for R1t/R1s. I am pretty happy with these results. The next question is cold weather results.

Separately, a friend had his R1t delivered and passed by. The vehicles are really amazing. Even though I drove one once before, you forget how insane the performance is on 0-60 or height and ride (stiff, soft) at a touch of a button.

Back