ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

Does Stratton have charging?
Seem to be quite a few Tesla charging stations in that part of Vermont. There is a Tesla SuperCharger in Rutland near Killington. Easy to find Tesla charge options using Google Maps these days.

Screen Shot 2022-01-26 at 9.33.00 PM.jpg

I'm thinking when people can park in their normal spot, it will make a big difference.
This is actually the part I can’t wrap my mind around. The plan seems to be for EVs to replace ICE vehicles pretty rapidly. 2035 seems like a long way off but it’s really not. Should we expect whole parking lots full of charging stations everywhere?

This is actually the part I can’t wrap my mind around. The plan seems to be for EVs to replace ICE vehicles pretty rapidly. 2035 seems like a long way off but it’s really not. Should we expect whole parking lots full of charging stations everywhere?
B - I think that we'll all have home chargers in the burbs and rural (NEMA 14-50 [dryer plug on 240]) will charge all but the largest vehicles over night, and the numbers on how far most commute each day are way less than that. I think for urban you will get a mix where every parking lot has a good percentage of L2 (15-30 miles an hour) and perhaps over time staggered charging spots on streets.

Highways will be dotted with high speed chargers (as Tesla already has in place and frankly as NYS is pushing out).

I guarantee I will be wrong.

Separately, I thought I saw a headline that GM wants to sell MORE EVs than Tesla by 2025. This may get very interesting.

Yeah, the thinking is, things start off slow, then there is a period of rapid adoption:
9877BE50-89AD-4D75-8D4B-87A4BA64315D.jpeg

I think as battery power increases, 500 mile+ ranges will make constant charging unneeded. I’m 80 miles from Stratton so I could just do an out & back.

Home chargers make sense for the suburbs but not for the millions of city cars. A lot of people park on the street.

Home chargers make sense for the suburbs but not for the millions of city cars. A lot of people park on the street.
Yep. So in Gowanus brooklyn there is a whole foods with solar panels everywhere. Pretty easy to drop in L2 chargers at every spot. If you get 30 miles in your 1 hour shopping trip, most city dwellers are set for the week.

Incidentally, not very far from the line of retreat from a little thing called the Battle of Brooklyn/Battle of Long Island in (I think) 1776.

"I think for urban you will get a mix where every parking lot has a good percentage of L2 (15-30 miles an hour) and perhaps over time staggered charging spots on streets."

Interestingly, Tesla won't put out a new model purportedly to focus on selling more units.
They better concentrate on getting their body panels to line up or they'll be in trouble. If they don't, once volume picks up, JD Power will have a field day with their poor quality. I promise you the big boy players will not have quality issues like that.

Back