HVAC: What's best for cold climates?

We had our house built in 2015, heated with a ducted propane furnace using less than 600 gals a year and no A/C at all. Less than a month ago had a heat pump system installed, Ecoer 3 ton 20 SEER inverter and evaporator unit, which will heat to about zero then the propane furnace will kick on but hasn't yet. Fixedheeln has moved the thermostat down to 66 from 68 with the propane and feels it is equally comfortable. We have a portable gas generator with an exterior 220 cord and outlet and a 10 circuit transfer switch for just basic stuff, propane furnace, water pump, fridge, a few lights and outlets as a backup. We were originally looking for only central air conditioning and upon researching felt this a better choice with the rebates and tax incentives being offered.

Nice looks like those do both.

So are those radiators disguised as baseboards? I'd like to see what the inside looks like.

We had our house built in 2015, heated with a ducted propane furnace using less than 600 gals a year and no A/C at all. Less than a month ago had a heat pump system installed, Ecoer 3 ton 20 SEER inverter and evaporator unit, which will heat to about zero then the propane furnace will kick on but hasn't yet. Fixedheeln has moved the thermostat down to 66 from 68 with the propane and feels it is equally comfortable. We have a portable gas generator with an exterior 220 cord and outlet and a 10 circuit transfer switch for just basic stuff, propane furnace, water pump, fridge, a few lights and outlets as a backup. We were originally looking for only central air conditioning and upon researching felt this a better choice with the rebates and tax incentives being offered.

This is very cool, and gives me hope.

We have a heat pump here, high SEER (22), but we find if it gets below 35 the propane is cheaper.

Incentives and rebates question: only for remodeling? or any incentive for new construction?

We have a heat pump here, high SEER (22), but we find if it gets below 35 the propane is cheaper.

Incentives and rebates question: only for remodeling? or any incentive for new construction?
30% federal tax credit until 2035. Either

It is so new we have yet to determine which is more economical, we are going with the heat pump as the first option and try to sort it out when we have a larger sample size. We have already paid for our propane up front so we are going to run higher cost this year. We still are sorting out the rebates and tax benefits.

So are those radiators disguised as baseboards? I'd like to see what the inside looks like.

Very elegant! Minimum temperature is 140° Btu rating is for 180°

There are air channels for convection in the rear . So you get some radiation plus convection.

The problem with conventional baseboard is a lot of the heat goes up the walls to the ceiling.
Radiant heat is better as it’s a more even heat.

One more thing is your plumber needs to know that if you do radiant heat he should not use a wax seal under the toilet as it will soften and leak.

It looks like you're working yourself into a crazy complicated system with heat pumps, boilers, baseboards, mini-splits, hot air ducts and radiant floors, wood stoves, wood boiler and a propane boiler and generator to back it all up. You don't want the most complicated system north of Colts Neck when it needs service in the Dacks, no matter how efficient and perfect it is. You really should talk to an HVAC engineer with local knowledge or at least installers before you make any decisions.

mm

I'm not settled on anything yet, I'm trying to learn. Of course I will talk to an expert. What I have found is that experts are selling something specific, and will recommend what they sell. That's why you need an idea of what you want, so you can narrow it down, and find an expert who can help you get what you want.

IF ANYONE knows someone who will consult on HVAC, who doesn't sell something specific, a pure consultant without bias, please DM me. I can't find someone like that.

I have a heat pump with propane backup here in NJ, and it seems pretty good. It may be complicated, but it doesn't present itself as such to me. It just works, it's cheap as hell (house isn't that well insulated either) about half the cost of our last house, which was half the size.

The way I am leaning now, I'd be replacing ducts with "radiators."

I want SOMETHING to back up the electricity and I think propane makes sense. I could run a fireplace off it, my kitchen stove and a generator.

The only question that remains is do we do AC. I'd be willing to go without, our just put a split in the upstairs bedroom, but the mrs has an opinion too, that I need to consider.

I am redoing a home in the Helderberg's. It is to much of a challenge to run duct work, so i went with a combination of heat systems. The first floor will be heated by a propane boiler and Runtal radiators. The radiators are pricy but are light years better then those fin systems. I am convinced radiant or radiators is the best heat source in the mountains. A mini split is being installed upstairs. It will heat a bedroom, bath and 3 season room. Roughly 500 sqft. I do not trust the mini splits as the sole source of heat, especially in the mountains. Each floor will also have a propane fireplace insert. Harv I really don't think you need air condition at your new place. Ceiling fans and a cross breeze should do the trick. I would recommend a Generac generator so you can flush the toilet and heat the home.

@sig ... yesterday I filled out a contact form on the Runtal website, and this morning I got a call from Richard. He just spent 30 minutes listening. I sent him my design and he's going to make a proposal n/c. Should have it by Thursday. Unbelievable customer service in this day and age, IMO.

Back