HVAC: What's best for cold climates?

This pump is supposed to heat in cold weather. I was told it really doesn't, and he's right. 20+ degrees and it's a super star. Below that I use my propane fired wood stove and kerosene furnace.

They do but the capacity is reduced considerably.

If you increase the size of the unit to gain more capacity you end up with problems on the air conditioning side. The unit will satisfy the thermostat too quickly and not remove enough humidity.

If you increase the size of the unit to gain more capacity you end up with problems on the air conditioning side. The unit will satisfy the thermostat too quickly and not remove enough humidity.

This is key. You are supposed to leave it to the professionals, but if they fuçkup, you are sçrewed.

my mini split is only required to heat 400 SQFT. It is a supplemental heat source. It did not skip a beat in this past cold snap. It is rated below zero.

I was under the impression the the heat pump could go lower than it's rating, but that it might then cost more then propane or whatever you are using for backup.

Sig what is your brand and model?

They do but the capacity is reduced considerably.

File this under dumb questions, ok?

The remotes for my head units have a temperature setting. If I understand this correctly, it's only setting the air temp blowing out of the unit and not measuring the actual room temp? Right? Meaning if the temp on the remote says 72, the room may only heat to 66?

Camp will you use the AC in summer?

File this under dumb questions, ok?

The remotes for my head units have a temperature setting. If I understand this correctly, it's only setting the air temp blowing out of the unit and not measuring the actual room temp? Right? Meaning if the temp on the remote says 72, the room may only heat to 66?

Correct, temp setting only if Mitsubishi is the same as Fujitsu.
Big complaint from a lot of people, “what’s the temperature?” There’s an infrared sensor that looks into the room for temperature control. It would be nice if there was a display somewhere.

I was under the impression the the heat pump could go lower than it's rating, but that it might then cost more then propane or whatever you are using for backup.

Sig what is your brand and model?

The efficiency is still probably more than 2-1 but think of the unit getting smaller as the temperature goes down, Shrinkage Lol.

Correct, temp setting only if Mitsubishi is the same as Fujitsu.
Big complaint from a lot of people, “what’s the temperature?” There’s an infrared sensor that looks into the room for temperature control. It would be nice if there was a display somewhere.
Thanks!

My propane "woodstove" has a remote with an actual thermostat so that makes it easier to know the temp.

Back