HVAC: What's best for cold climates?

Correct, temp setting only if Mitsubishi is the same as Fujitsu.
Big complaint from a lot of people, “what’s the temperature?” There’s an infrared sensor that looks into the room for temperature control. It would be nice if there was a display somewhere.
You're spot on. My remote is set to 69, room temp is 65. The head is in standby mode. It definitely would be nice to have a display, but, now that I know I'm not loosing my mind I'm ok with it. LoL

You're spot on. My remote is set to 69, room temp is 65. The head is in standby mode. It definitely would be nice to have a display, but, now that I know I'm not loosing my mind I'm ok with it. LoL

Now that I think about it there might be a calibration feature in your remote?

This pump is supposed to heat in cold weather. I was told it really doesn't, and he's right. 20+ degrees and it's a super star. Below that I use my propane fired wood stove and kerosene furnace.
Is that one of those cold climate heat pumps? Are you sure you got the right thing? Doesn't it have some kind of resistance heat source for low temperatures?
Also, be careful about shutting the heat pump down when you use the wood stove back up. Heat pumps need to run to defrost the evaporator when it gets cold, and if it builds up too much ice when it's not running it may not start up reliably.
Also too, I used to run a kerosene stove with a pressurized fuel tank when I worked on a paving crew. I wouldn't have one of those within 50 feet of my house.

mm

Is that one of those cold climate heat pumps? Are you sure you got the right thing? Doesn't it have some kind of resistance heat source for low temperatures?
Also, be careful about shutting the heat pump down when you use the wood stove back up. Heat pumps need to run to defrost the evaporator when it gets cold, and if it builds up too much ice when it's not running it may not start up reliably.
Also too, I used to run a kerosene stove with a pressurized fuel tank when I worked on a paving crew. I wouldn't have one of those within 50 feet of my house.

mm
I need to be more specific. We had approx 30 hrs of single digits temps with wicked high winds. My house was originally homeowner built as a camp. It's drafty. The heat pump was certainly working, but my furnace would kick on. The thermostat for my furnace is set at 62. My furnace is my 3rd heating source. It's a fuel oil furnace, but I have an outdoor tank so I need to burn kerosene which is out of control expensive! That said, it works just fine. I'll never turn my heat pump off so I'm not worried about that.

I had a pellet stove that was fantastic! It heated my house perfectly. Unfortunately, or fortunately, it broke and was in need of repair. Being pellets have at least doubled in price I chose to replace my pellet stove with a propane stove. Major benefit of this propane stove is it will run without power, and propane is currently cheap.

I like having 3 sources of heat.

my mini split worked well. i also had two days of fierce winds. It takes a few minutes to kick on in the cold temps, it has a defrost mode. the split is rated below 0. My house is spray foamed though. Could be the best money I ever spent.

Back