HVAC: What's best for cold climates?

Sbob thanks for your continued help and advice.

I think I want straight up electric in the garage. If you decide to let it go unheated it's no big deal.

I have been looking into propane fireplaces for our great room and I don't see something that is ideal.

I want the fireplace to be an actual heating device not a decoration. The "ventless" units basically say "don't run it for more than three hours, you might die!"

The vented units pose a different problem, because where the fireplace is located doesn't lend itself to a simple exhaust. Does the fireplace vent have to go higher than the roof peak? Can it come out horizontally or run any kind of horizontal distance?

Has anyone seen a propane fireplace you recommend?

No problem.

I’m not a fan of ventless, I have a friend that had a propane unit that malfunctioned and sooted up the whole house, it was ugly. .

I hooked up a double sided see through unit for a friend last year.
Its in the middle of a living room, the vent and intake are concentric and vents between the floor joists of the second floor out the wall. It’s a beautiful fireplace! Has a fan unit for heat

Something like this but vented . I don’t recall the brand he used.

No question I'm going with vented. I want a legit heater not a decoration.

Upon further review it looks like the venting is pretty simple. It doesn't have to go above the peak of the roof and it can go horizontal. Apparently you can use one attachment for intake and exhaust.

The fireplace is currently designed to go on the inside between these two sets of windows.

house

You do have to be careful because the vent gets hot. If the vent is up high and to the left, it could be out of the way, with the stairs leading you down, away from the heat and exhaust. (?) I think code says 12" from any window, 18" to soffit.

No question I'm going with vented. I want a legit heater not a decoration.

Upon further review it looks like the venting is pretty simple. It doesn't have to go above the peak of the roof and it can go horizontal. Apparently you can use one attachment for intake and exhaust.

The fireplace is currently designed to go on the inside between these two sets of windows.

View attachment 21031

You do have to be careful because the vent gets hot. If the vent is up high and to the left, it could be out of the way, with the stairs leading you down, away from the heat and exhaust. (?) I think code says 12" from any window, 18" to soffit.

It shouldn’t terminate underneath an overhang. That would discolor the soffit and possibly send some exhaust gas back into the roof if you have a ridge vent.,

A through the wall concentric vented heater is what killed Vitas Gerolaitis. Fireplaces are worse. All those yellow flames are carbon monoxide. They’re not even trying for complete combustion. It’s inefficient heating at best, and it doesn’t even look like a real fire to my eye either. I’d rather have a fireplace video on an OLED flatscreen.

mm

Last edited:
I’d rather have a fireplace video on an OLED flatscreen.

They actually make those, and they are 1500 watt (space) heaters that put out some heat.

I have seen some vented fireplaces that are 80% efficient.

It shouldn’t terminate underneath an overhang.

I don't want to end up like Vitas.

I hate to go through the roof but maybe that has to be the way. Some kind of extender would look pretty weird.

How horizontal can you can go with exhaust pipe?

A through the wall concentric vented heater is what killed Vitas Gerolaitis. Fireplaces are worse. All those yellow flames are carbon monoxide.

mm

I’m not familiar with pool heaters except for outdoor type. Combination smoke / Co detectors are required these days.

I agree about the yellow flames. Every time I see people sitting around outdoor fire pits I cringe.

Back