HVAC: What's best for cold climates?

They definitely fall down in the cold, but 20+ and they are great.
Question:

When you get to say 10 degrees, does it quit completely, or does it heat the house to say 60 degrees, and you have to add a little wood or whatever?

Question:

When you get to say 10 degrees, does it quit completely, or does it heat the house to say 60 degrees, and you have to add a little wood or whatever?
We just had a new HVAC system installed this summer. It’s a Bosch heat pump with an auxiliary propane furnace. The heat pump works great when the outside temp is above 30 degrees or so. When the temp gets below that it takes longer to heat the house and eventually the propane furnace kicks in and makes up the difference. This past week, it’s been almost exclusively using the propane. Today the heat pump was going again. The heat pump and the propane don’t ever work at the same time - if the heat pump can’t bring the house up to the desired temp, it shuts off and the propane kicks in. I’m curious what Camp’s system uses for a backup.

Question:

We have to manually switch from the heat pump to the propane furnace using the thermostat. The heat pump was maintaining 63 degrees inside ( wifes nighttime setting) at about 3 degrees outside but it was running continuously so we swapped over, very simple. We bought 500 gals of propane 18 months ago and have used only a small amount. Propane furnace is our choice for backup on the transfer switch with the portable generator for power outages FWIW.

I keep hearing about heat pumps that go really low. Like 10 degrees or lower. Is that real?

Thanks both!
This pump is supposed to heat in cold weather. I was told it really doesn't, and he's right. 20+ degrees and it's a super star. Below that I use my propane fired wood stove and kerosene furnace.

I keep hearing about heat pumps that go really low. Like 10 degrees or lower. Is that real?

Thanks both!

Back