Greek Peak Conditions

How do you know what to ski and when? I have a pair of Rossi Saphires that I picked up at the sale probably 14 years ago. I was just getting back into skiing then. I know that no ski will make me a better skier. Will a not so great ski hold me back?
I actually bought the 110's from an infamous former member here. They're mounted with Marker Duke touring bindings. I bought a pair of skins for them this season, but haven't had a chance to try them yet. I don't have touring boots. I'm hoping I can skin in my alpine boots leaving the top buckels loose. Not sure this will work, but it sounds alot better than hiking with boots on. Might have to break down and gets some touring boots. I don't plan on doing it alot. I live about 5 miles from Aqua Terra, formerly Innsbruck USA, in Binghamton. My actual powder skis are Volkl Kuro big mountain skis, 132 underfoot. They draw alot of attention on the hill. They really aren't the best powder skis, not only are they WHITE!, WTF, but they're stiff, metal topsheet, and metal inside. I got them dirt cheap and had bindings from my Mantras. Had to buy a very large set of brakes for them. I've pretty much replaced them with the Moments as powder skis. I might break them out sometime, if it ever snows. It is fun getting reactions from people.

I've been pretty happy with 88's as a daily ski. I've had Volkl Mantras, 98, and two different pair of Volkl RTM 84's, the box construction, which cracked on both skis, replaced free with the later version with a raised strip in the middle of the ski. Had a pair of Volkl Tiger sharks years ago, not sure how wide, probably under 80, they were pretty short too 165, but they skied like Farraris on hardpack.

To answer your question, I break out the wide skis for anything over boot deep. Skied alot of days at Snow Ridge 18"+, definitely better on wide skis. It's pretty tough to float 280 lbs, so I'm definitely in the snow, but the width definitely helps. They're both long too, both 190's.

I actually bought the 110's from an infamous former member here. They're mounted with Marker Duke touring bindings. I bought a pair of skins for them this season, but haven't had a chance to try them yet. I don't have touring boots. I'm hoping I can skin in my alpine boots leaving the top buckels loose. Not sure this will work, but it sounds alot better than hiking with boots on. Might have to break down and gets some touring boots. I don't plan on doing it alot. I live about 5 miles from Aqua Terra, formerly Innsbruck USA, in Binghamton. My actual powder skis are Volkl Kuro big mountain skis, 132 underfoot. They draw alot of attention on the hill. They really aren't the best powder skis, not only are they WHITE!, WTF, but they're stiff, metal topsheet, and metal inside. I got them dirt cheap and had bindings from my Mantras. Had to buy a very large set of brakes for them. I've pretty much replaced them with the Moments as powder skis. I might break them out sometime, if it ever snows. It is fun getting reactions from people.

I've been pretty happy with 88's as a daily ski. I've had Volkl Mantras, 98, and two different pair of Volkl RTM 84's, the box construction, which cracked on both skis, replaced free with the later version with a raised strip in the middle of the ski. Had a pair of Volkl Tiger sharks years ago, not sure how wide, probably under 80, they were pretty short too 165, but they skied like Farraris on hardpack.

To answer your question, I break out the wide skis for anything over boot deep. Skied alot of days at Snow Ridge 18"+, definitely better on wide skis. It's pretty tough to float 280 lbs, so I'm definitely in the snow, but the width definitely helps. They're both long too, both 190's.
Thanks. I guess I have a lot to learn.

... two different pair of Volkl RTM 84's, the box construction, which cracked on both skis, replaced free with the later version with a raised strip in the middle of the ski.
How long ago did the 84’s crack?
and what year were they?
Mine seem to be holding up so far @ 3 or 4 years old,

Geez, idk, they were the first generation, white and green, probably 10 yrs or so ago. The bindings put pressure on the boxes on either edge of the top of the ski. Both skis cracked. When I was at Taos I took them into their shop to make sure they were adjusted properly. Someone overheard the conversation and said he knew someone with the same skis that had the same cracking. I've asked other skiers I've seen on them if they've had the same issue. No one had, but I told them to keep an eye on them. The fact that I'm quite large, ok fat, was probably a contributing factor. They were replaced free. The Volkl rep was at a demo day at Greek, both he and the owner of the local shop kinda gave me shit for buying them online. I did buy then from a ski shop, it was in Oregon, I think. I sent pics of the cracks to Volkl, and said I thought their rep didn't act very professionally, he wanted me to tell him where the demo day was, but I wouldn't tell him, I didn't want to throw the guy under the bus. I did have to pay to have the bindings
adjusted at my local shop, that was all.

The replacement skis were next gen, black and green with a raised strip on the top of the ski that the binding rides on. I think they still do this now with their integrated bindings. Deacon 84's, the RTM's replacement.

Now that I think about it, I was in pretty good shape when I owned the RTM's probably about 225lbs, still a load, but light for me. Your average male skier is probably more like 150-170lbs, I would say. Even if an aggressive skier, they probably put less stress on the skis than someone my size.

Last edited:
How do you know what to ski and when? I have a pair of Rossi Saphires that I picked up at the sale probably 14 years ago. I was just getting back into skiing then. I know that no ski will make me a better skier. Will a not so great ski hold me back?
Yes, most definitely a weak ski will hold you back. The reverse is too much ski will do the same. Keep an eye out for demo days or go to the ski shop. The shop has different skis you can rent. Talk to BrandoTheSkiGod, he'll put you on a ski good for you and your ability.

Geez, idk, they were the first generation, white and green, probably 10 yrs or so ago. The bindings put pressure on the boxes on either edge of the top of the ski. Both skis cracked. When I was at Taos I took them into their shop to make sure they were adjusted properly. Someone overheard the conversation and said he knew someone with the same skis that had the same cracking. I've asked other skiers I've seen on them if they've had the same issue. No one had, but I told them to keep an eye on them. The fact that I'm quite large, ok fat, was probably a contributing factor. They were replaced free. The Volkl rep was at a demo day at Greek, both he and the owner of the local shop kinda gave me shit for buying them online. I did buy then from a ski shop, it was in Oregon, I think. I sent pics of the cracks to Volkl, and said I thought their rep didn't act very professionally, he wanted me to tell him where the demo day was, but I wouldn't tell him, I didn't want to throw the guy under the bus. I did have to pay to have the bindings
adjusted at my local shop, that was all.

The replacement skis were next gen, black and green with a raised strip on the top of the ski that the binding rides on. I think they still do this now with their integrated bindings. Deacon 84's, the RTM's replacement.

Now that I think about it, I was in pretty good shape when I owned the RTM's probably about 225lbs, still a load, but light for me. Your average male skier is probably more like 150-170lbs, I would say. Even if an aggressive skier, they probably put less stress on the skis than someone my size.
Thanks for the reply Corn'd.

Back