Greek Peak Conditions

Campgottogopee pretty much shot everyone’s idea down.
Oh Emily. Just stop with the BS drama. If disagreeing about HSQ is "shooting everyone down", sobeit. To me it's nothing more than an overspend of monies.
People ski GP because it's the best terrain in CNY. That's what skiers that I ski with like. We like snow and terrain.
Nope, it's not the Catskills or the Dacks. It's rolling farm land in CNY. We compete with Song and Lab, imo. It's more expensive than Song or Lab, and, imo, well worth the added few bucks.
Peace.

So I think what many of you prefer is a small regional ski area versus trying to grow the place into a true resort? I’m not criticizing that – – I’m just trying to understand.

The point I was trying to make with respect to crowds at other ski areas is that there is a reason for that. One of the facets we like about Greek Peak is the lack of crowds. However, I’m not sure that the owners would agree.

Greek Peak was on the leading edge in terms of lifts back in the 70s and 80s, but as we know, that is no longer the case. Nobody complained back then when the triple chair went in. As you may also recall, the T-bars constantly stopped because people did not know how to ride them. Would you still be able to charge $85 a day for a ski area with all T bars? You still have labor and utility costs that are not going to decrease.

I’m not sure how they will ever be able to afford new fixed grip lifts. If you recall when John and Mark purchased the ski area, they mentioned a high-speed quad in about five years. Instead, we have a used lift from Windham that still hasn’t been installed after three years.

Last edited:
Oh Emily. Just stop with the BS drama. If disagreeing about HSQ is "shooting everyone down", sobeit. To me it's nothing more than an overspend of monies.
People ski GP because it's the best terrain in CNY. That's what skiers that I ski with like. We like snow and terrain.
Nope, it's not the Catskills or the Dacks. It's rolling farm land in CNY. We compete with Song and Lab, imo. It's more expensive than Song or Lab, and, imo, well worth the added few bucks.
Peace.

I think that we can agree on. We ski Greek Peak because of the terrain and lack of crowds. I was just hoping for more from the place. The Hope Lake Lodge side of the valley is gorgeous with the new wedding pavilion and campground that is coming online soon.

I was there from 9:30 - 11. Cats hit Kristy's, Stoic and Trojan that I saw. I wish I could have stayed. They would have been fun!

They had courses set up on Christie’s and Stoic, so just assumed that they would not be groomed. Maybe they groomed the sides where the courses weren’t.

Hopefully everything is groomed today.

Last edited:
The point I was trying to make with respect to crowds at other ski areas is that there is a reason for that. One of the facets we like about Greek Peak is the lack of crowds. However, I’m not sure that the owners would agree.
It's been crowded AF

Greek Peak was on the leading edge in terms of lifts back in the 70s and 80s, but as we know, that is no longer the case. Nobody complained back then when the triple chair went in. As you may also recall, the T-bars constantly stopped because people did not know how to ride them. Would you still be able to charge $85 a day for a ski area with all T bars? You still have labor and utility costs that are not going to decrease.
I was joking about the T bars. Can you imagine the whining tho? Lol

70's and 80's?? Ah, lots of things have changed since then.

Last edited:
Conditions were a lot better than I thought they would be! I skied Trojan for a couple hours this morning and had it pretty much to myself. :) It looked like they were setting up to blow snow there again.

Back