Greek Peak Conditions

Pic of Illiad on Friday 12/31/2021. A little foggy. Sking was quite good considering the extended warm spell.

gpfri12312021jpeg.jpg

Well, Camp? What's the word from around the fire? Has GP recovered from the craptastic weather? Are they still blowing snow? The webcam is down and I can't see what's up.

Well, Camp? What's the word from around the fire? Has GP recovered from the craptastic weather? Are they still blowing snow? The webcam is down and I can't see what's up.

They were at it last night and early this AM. I would imagine they've been, and will be, making POW for as long as these temps stay cold.

Went tonight… With the temps being great for snow making for the past two days it didn’t show,
cement hard every place.
Love Greek but snow making lacks big time. Guns running all around but need many more guns if they want to bark with the big dogs. They have to be able to really lay it down when they can and they just have the infrastructure. I guess in time, they need some help from Mother Nature for sure.

That's what capacity is all about. Taking advantage of small windows.

Went tonight… With the temps being great for snow making for the past two days it didn’t show,
cement hard every place.
Love Greek but snow making lacks big time. Guns running all around but need many more guns if they want to bark with the big dogs. They have to be able to really lay it down when they can and they just have the infrastructure. I guess in time, they need some help from Mother Nature for sure.
Surprised to hear that. Why I say that is because you can HEAR the roar of the guns way more this year than any other year before.
I think going at night also plays into this. First chair would be different. If it actually snowed would be helpful too....lol

They have to be able to really lay it down when they can and they just have the infrastructure. I guess in time, they need some help from Mother Nature for sure.
Agree. This is key. They've put in some new lines and have purchased new guns, lots of them. Now they're tasked with replacing all they 50 year old pipe to bring everything up to par before anymore expansion can happen. For many reasons that's going to take time. One thing is I bet it wasn't done correctly the first time....lol
There's a big pile of pipe by the old maintenance building ready for that chore. Every year we'll see improvement.

Surprised to hear that. Why I say that is because you can HEAR the roar of the guns way more this year than any other year before.
I think going at night also plays into this. First chair would be different. If it actually snowed would be helpful too....lol
As far as the roar, there’s a big fan placed at top of Christy’s that is LOUD. So loud it sounds like a bearing or something is going. I’ve never seen that fan before but I guarantee it can be heard for miles. I too was surprised not to find anything soft except low on Stoic down low and under guns. As a night skier you learn to ski the edges and not much soft to be found.
Not a snow maker but makes you wonder if they are running to much water to air mixture. With the dry cold dry we had for two days it should have been softer imho. I think a lot of it is they just don’t have enough equipment so they are spread to thin.

Making POW? More like making sandpaper, but kudos to the crew, they made a bunch. Weird day, only open trails first thing were Alpha and Odyssey. Can't say in all the years I've been skiing Greek, I remember that being the case. Odyssey wasn't terrible, a tad firm, dare I say a few rocks here and there, my buddy actually damaged his base on one. I guess I was lucky, pretty unavoidable when you're grooming a couple inches of base in spots.

They got Karyatis open about an hour in, Fields opened just before we left around noon. Got one run in. Both were OK. Everything, all 3 trails, should be in pretty good shape tomorrow morning. We need a storm, conditions suck for the beginning of January. Could be worse, I'm grateful I'm not a redneck snowmobiler.?

I think a lot of it is they just don’t have enough equipment so they are spread to thin.
I think it's more of them lacking manpower. It takes a special kind person to make snow. As I've said before I made snow for one season, 7Am to 7PM. If it wasn't for my mom not letting me quit I would've been out of there. Most newbies don't make it to lunch (midnight).

Back