Greek Peak Conditions

Nice
Yeah the Baldwin's have connections here in CNY, I believe their mom still lives in Cuse. I met Alec Baldwin on the putting green at Turning Stone playing in a pro am with pro.

Ha, I just skied Geek Peak for the first time Thursday and Friday morning, the same time Brownski's blog post appeared. It's almost equidistant from my place in Ct. and my girlfriend's in upper Baltimore, so we met there. I splurged and got a room at the Hope Lake Lodge because they have pretty full kitchens in the rooms, and that worked out well, since there's no way I'm sharing dinner in a restaraunt with toxic college kids.
I thought conditions would be a little better with the recent snow, but, still needs more. Just a bit. It snowed a few inches Friday morning and I think they're getting 4-5 today, so, if they get a nice little dump, that place is going to be fun. No way I was going into the trees on Thursday, even though a glade was open. Been there, done that, I like my knees.
Great little mountain. Better than I expected. It's not really a mountain, though. What is it? Flat as hell if you drive southwest, which we did just to see Ithica, which is surprisingly gritty. Pretty dead right now, in times of Covid.
I'll be back when it snows. Had a good time.
Glad you guys enjoyed it. The place has tons of character.

I call it a hill. CNY is full of rolling hills, farmland, countryside.

Greek is finally coming into mid winter form. Everything is now skiable, though alot still has yet to officially open. Nice to see Zeus open Saturday. Closed today for snow making. Haven't attempted Olympian yet this year, but though closed, probably would've skied nicely today. Why not open it thin and bare? More snow on the way, hopefully the cold will stick around for awhile.
IMG_20210124_103324499.jpg
IMG_20210124_103320934.jpg

Aesop's, skier's right on Fields skied nicely today, lapped it several times.

Camp and Benny, Found this today. Lots of interesting stuff bout land around Greek Peak. Page 14 has geology.
DEC's UMP for Forrest Virgil. https://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/regions_pdf/vgltext.pdf
Crazy experience was driving southwest to Ithica to check it out before we drove home. Relatively flat but rolling drive (the road riding must be awesome) until about five miles before Ithica, and then, wow, long drop downhill to the bottom of that lake. Huge scar in the earth from a high plateau.

Crazy experience was driving southwest to Ithica to check it out before we drove home. Relatively flat but rolling drive (the road riding must be awesome) until about five miles before Ithica, and then, wow, long drop downhill to the bottom of that lake. Huge scar in the earth from a high plateau.
I grew up down there on the flat lands. My dad still lives in the house I grew up in. He lives in a totally different weather world than I do. He has no snow. I have had six inches of LE in the past week.

I am guessing you came down route 13. That would give a great view of the lake. It's also a pretty gentle hill. The next time your are in town, make sure you come down Buffalo St., for a real experience of Ithaca's hills. :) That's why I prefer to drive a stick, so the engine can brake on the way down.

Crazy experience was driving southwest to Ithica ... Ithica, and then, wow, long drop downhill to the bottom of that lake. Huge scar in the earth from a high plateau.
Ithica... ithica is gorges.
Lots of waterfalls, cliffs and gorges along the south ends of the finger lakes.

Back