Gore Mountain Conditions

Hey anybody ski today? How were the conditions...lol. I agree with both Steve and Kleetus. A faster lift will need more terain at the bowl and the weather the weather and the weather is a problem at the bowl. It is what it is. As a long time Gore skier, we will see these improvements come to fruition when the Mets are relevant again...2026.

Hey anybody ski today? How were the conditions...lol. I agree with both Steve and Kleetus. A faster lift will need more terain at the bowl and the weather the weather and the weather is a problem at the bowl. It is what it is. As a long time Gore skier, we will see these improvements come to fruition when the Mets are relevant again...2026.
Don’t hold your breath. Even ORDA moves with lightning-like speed compared to the glacial pace of Mets management.

it took 15 years after the BR HSQ was installed to cut the Backwoods trail.
Dang beavers coulda done it quicker if tweren’t for all them there beaver deceivers. Folks call it The Tannery for a reason.

Last edited:
That ain’t the wording in the Constitution.
I believe @snoloco is correct. I'm no lawyer, so the following may be incorrect. But the NY Constitution article XIV § 1 says:
Nothing herein contained shall prevent the state from constructing, completing and maintaining...not more than forty miles of ski trails thirty to two hundred feet wide, together with appurtenances thereto, provided that no more than eight miles of such trails shall be in excess of one hundred twenty feet wide, on the slopes of Gore and Pete Gay mountains in Warren county
But this portion of the constitution is referring to "The lands of the state, now owned or hereafter acquired, constituting the forest preserve as now fixed by law, shall be forever kept as wild forest lands."

The land in the ski bowl does not appear on the State Land Map of the Adarondack Park map. Instead, the ski bowl land is owned by Town of Johnsburg or Front Street Mountain Dev Co, depending on the parcel (you can look at the parcel ownership at the county's map tool.) Therefore it is not state land, and likely not subject to article XIV § 1.

I believe @snoloco is correct. I'm no lawyer, so the following may be incorrect. But the NY Constitution article XIV § 1 says:

But this portion of the constitution is referring to "The lands of the state, now owned or hereafter acquired, constituting the forest preserve as now fixed by law, shall be forever kept as wild forest lands."

The land in the ski bowl does not appear on the State Land Map of the Adarondack Park map. Instead, the ski bowl land is owned by Town of Johnsburg or Front Street Mountain Dev Co, depending on the parcel (you can look at the parcel ownership at the county's map tool.) Therefore it is not state land, and likely not subject to article XIV § 1.
You have to strictly read the words. STATE can't go over. Town can dow what it wants (not exactly but it is not subject to the acreage limits).

I believe @snoloco is correct. I'm no lawyer,
Neither am I, but have some (limited) experience with NYS SEQR.
APA isn’t the DEC.
The NYS Constitution has increased mileage limits by amendment(s).
1709301413362.png

APA changes designations of land use boundaries & have for the area under discussion.

If ya wanna read more about it check out the UMP.
I ain’t the judge neither.
acreage mileage
FIFY
Should be a good day to ski. 🌽 ❄️ ☀️

I guess in Michigan they do add soil to summits to raise them.
Its was very common for the ski areas to dig out at the bottom and add to the top. the only one left still building a new peak that I know of. You can see on the bottom right of the pic where they are adding dirt to make the unload area bigger by next season.
Cabeerfae Top.jpg

Thanks for the info. It looks like they made some last night at Whiteface.
Crisis management. After numerous complaints about snowmaking and grooming quality and a whistleblower complaint, ORDA sent the Belleayre boss up there to kick ass and take names.

Back