Gore Mountain Conditions

I was on the upper mountain when the gondola broke down. I may have been one of the last people to ski it for a while.

1000003829.jpg

1000003830.jpg

The gondola has been the least reliable lift for years but the whole operating plan depends on it. If they opened AE2>Wood In>High Peaks first no one would care if the gondola was down. Instead they start with the gondola and now there are no black trails at all. I hope this doesn’t distract them from covering Arena for the competition course.

mm
We've had this discussion before. The Wood Lots don't have close enough gun spacing for a quick turnaround, so it can't open early season. Even if they did, and the snowmaking plans were changed, the gondola is the main lift, that the most people want to ride, and allowing it to be as unreliable as it is, is unacceptable.

If they were smart, they'd light up Wood In right now and open High Peaks tomorrow, but only for access to the summit. But they won't.

The other lifts are magic carpets. Those runs are not long enough to help me much. Yet each time I take the Sunway Chair I get a few too many areas that are too steep for me given the conditions. Catch 22 gone bad. Next trip WILL include a lesson but I have my fingers crossed the lesson could include B C Quad trails. But since it will be a weekday I worry the B Cub Quad will again not be running. Now I am worrying I might not be able to trust the Snow Report paragraphs. BTW Will I be able to book a lesson after I get to the mountain. Given the changing conditions and lifts I hope so. I guess I am just jinxed.
Reservations are preferred, but as long as there are instructors available for your skill level they will accept walk-ins.

Tom

Right from the website...cough cough...
HAPPY HOLIDAYS!
Winter’s back in action! Temperatures are finally in our favor, and the snowmakers are back to making snow! They are blowing on Hawkeye, Lies, The Arena, The Wood Lots, Echo, and Wood In!

Hopefully sooner now

❤️Gore, it’s flats are features & bugs.
I was on the upper mountain when the gondola broke down. I may have been one of the last people to ski it for a while.

If they were smart, they'd light up Wood In right now and open High Peaks tomorrow, but only for access to the summit. But they won't.
Is there any non maniacal reason to say their blowing Lies? 🤔

Last edited:
Lift report has X on Bear Cub, and all the lifts to the "Upper Mtn".
& then has this for the ski report:
"Still, we have all levels of terrain open for all skill levels to enjoy...".
T’ain’t a black in the bunch & with Bear Cub down limits easiest trails.

Gore Mountain has the blues covered.
They’ll be fast.

Hope they throw the lift repair folks a bone if they can get em going soon.
1704115715911.png

Beautiful morning at the tippy top.
1704116567826.png

Last edited:
On my 3 trips so far... the snow conditions were far better than I expected. More people skiing than I expected so the demand is certainly there. But I am getting hesitant to book ahead because of the lift issues. Others want difficult, I want easier (but not Magic carpet easy!) and we are both getting disappointed. I am long retired so I can adjust day to day. But still an hour drive to the mountain to discover limited lifts and limited terrain is getting frustrating. Breakdowns happen? Or is there a staffing shortage? I can only imagine the 'joy' a family dropping hundreds of dollars on a special trip must feel. My local mountain is looking better and better once we get snow! Unlike a State backed mountain they depend on return business.

Lift report has X on Bear Cub, and all the lifts to the "Upper Mtn".
& then has this for the ski report:
"Still, we have all levels of terrain open for all skill levels to enjoy...".
T’ain’t a black in the bunch & with Bear Cub down limits easiest trails.

Gore Mountain has the blues covered.
They’ll be fast.

Hope they throw the lift repair folks a bone if they can get em going soon.
View attachment 22438

Beautiful morning at the tippy top.
View attachment 22441
Looks like that Summit cam won’t see a skier in the picture for the foreseeable future. But that means the mountain can concentrate on building the glacier on Wild Air. Good times!

If I am not mistaken the Bear Cub lift is a Sky Track. I hope it’s not down due to a problem with the lift. Here in Michigan Nub Nob just put a Sky Track lift in and it was down for about a week for a controller issue. I hope that is not the case, if it is not a good look for Sky Track

If I am not mistaken the Bear Cub lift is a Sky Track. I hope it’s not down due to a problem with the lift. Here in Michigan Nub Nob just put a Sky Track lift in and it was down for about a week for a controller issue. I hope that is not the case, if it is not a good look for Sky Track
They don’t make em like they used to.
Had a simple surface “lift" that operated since 1955, allegedly.
“Progre$$"

Last edited:
They built the Bear Cub Quad because Gore lacked a true beginner lift at the main base. The old platter lift was inadequate because it had terrible capacity, and often had long lines. They obviously have significant issues that need to be fixed, but there's no question that it was worth it to build the lift.

Back