Gore Mountain Conditions

Don't let a weather forecast change your plans too much, even just a few days in advance. The forecast even 24 hours ahead looked like it would be pretty rainy today, but the radar looked pretty clear this morning, so I decided to head up to Gore with my daughter who had the day off from school. Time was a little tight for us, and we didn't get there until almost 11 and were done before 3 because we had to be home by 4:30. Got in 10 runs without getting rained on at all, and even saw the sun for a while. Gore clearly had gotten a lot of rain and was unable to groom anything. If you had first tracks on anything it wasn't good but conditions improved a bit as the day went on with the (very light) skier traffic. It was the emptiest Gore parking lot I've seen in a long time. We started on the Gondola and headed right over to Burnt Ridge as my daughter had yet to ski Backwoods. The run out from Ruby Run and then from Twister's Little Sister down to the base of the Burnt Ridge chair was horrible. Backwoods itself was fine, except again the flat areas which were extra challenging with the sort of rotten layer on the top of the snow because of the heavy rain. We decided to forego Sagamore and took Echo back down to the base for a quick lunch to save our time for higher terrain. After lunch, it was back up the gondola, down Pine Knot to Straight Brook. We took a run down Hawkeye, which was the best snow we'd found yet since it had a little traffic. Next we took nice runs over to the High Peaks area to hit Hullabaloo and Lower Darby. Open Pit back to Straight Brook for a run down Rumor (which was my first there of the year and it was skiing nicely). Our time was starting to run short by then, so we continued down Tannery, up the Topridge chair, and down Foxlair and Wild Air to finish our day in a puddle on slush at the base. I wouldn't have minded a run down Lies and/or Chatiemac, and we probably should have skipped the trek over to Burnt Ridge to save time for those. It was a far cry from the great day I had last week at Gore but still worth the trip, and I'm glad we decided to go.
A bad day of skiing (fishing, golfing) is better than a good day at work.

A bad day of skiing (fishing, golfing) is better than a good day at work.
Yup.
The friend who’s driving tomorrow is the only one of the bunch still working.
He’s longest tenured where I used to work and took tomorrow off figuring on skiing at Song.
Everyday’s Saturday... but more folks show up at places on a real Saturday.

Don't let a weather forecast change your plans too much, even just a few days in advance. The forecast even 24 hours ahead looked like it would be pretty rainy today, but the radar looked pretty clear this morning, so I decided to head up to Gore with my daughter who had the day off from school. Time was a little tight for us, and we didn't get there until almost 11 and were done before 3 because we had to be home by 4:30. Got in 10 runs without getting rained on at all, and even saw the sun for a while. Gore clearly had gotten a lot of rain and was unable to groom anything. If you had first tracks on anything it wasn't good but conditions improved a bit as the day went on with the (very light) skier traffic. It was the emptiest Gore parking lot I've seen in a long time. We started on the Gondola and headed right over to Burnt Ridge as my daughter had yet to ski Backwoods. The run out from Ruby Run and then from Twister's Little Sister down to the base of the Burnt Ridge chair was horrible. Backwoods itself was fine, except again the flat areas which were extra challenging with the sort of rotten layer on the top of the snow because of the heavy rain. We decided to forego Sagamore and took Echo back down to the base for a quick lunch to save our time for higher terrain. After lunch, it was back up the gondola, down Pine Knot to Straight Brook. We took a run down Hawkeye, which was the best snow we'd found yet since it had a little traffic. Next we took nice runs over to the High Peaks area to hit Hullabaloo and Lower Darby. Open Pit back to Straight Brook for a run down Rumor (which was my first there of the year and it was skiing nicely). Our time was starting to run short by then, so we continued down Tannery, up the Topridge chair, and down Foxlair and Wild Air to finish our day in a puddle on slush at the base. I wouldn't have minded a run down Lies and/or Chatiemac, and we probably should have skipped the trek over to Burnt Ridge to save time for those. It was a far cry from the great day I had last week at Gore but still worth the trip, and I'm glad we decided to go.
Completely agree, especially Hawkeye being the best snow. I started around 9:00 and it was a bit weird early. Sticky, crusty, liquid all within 100 yards. But it improved pretty quickly and you really had the mountain to yourself.

Tom

Very good today. My picks are Hawkeye and backwoods (earlier in the day). North and dark side skied well until at least 1:30, when I left. Sunway was a challenge below quicksilver to end the day.

I heard they will be open everyday next week and then assess a midweek shutdown. But based on the snowmelt on my property get it sooner vs. later.

Tom

Very good today. My picks are Hawkeye and backwoods (earlier in the day). North and dark side skied well until at least 1:30, when I left. Sunway was a challenge below quicksilver to end the day.

I heard they will be open everyday next week and then assess a midweek shutdown. But based on the snowmelt on my property get it sooner vs. later.

Tom
I concur, and natural snow and ungroomed trails skied well in the pm.
This is the last weekend of Burnt and the North.

Headed there tomorrow and may be my last Gore day. Got K Ikon days to burn and going Sunday and Monday and likely again the following weekend. Should be good day to close it out after a solid 17 other days so far this season.

Headed there tomorrow and may be my last Gore day.
You’ll have fun.
It’s still winter up there on top & the Sun will do it’s magic. And there were ❄️ flakes in the air today earlier.
Still lots ❄️ from the big somewhat recent earlier storm.
Should be real nice,
It was still winter fast nice snow till we come down around 2
Even then it was still fast but thick..
The boys all said it was a great day. I have no complaints, cause it was.

Last edited:
This is sad because the north holds the snow and skis great late in the season.

Tom
Never made it to Burnt Ridge but twister had way more snow than showcase did yesterday and it’s the further north of the 2.
Would’ve been even funner if I still had gas left in the tank coming down it at the end at 2.

Back