Gore Mountain Conditions

Website says Hudson is closed tomorrow - so that run was open today for first (and last?) time?

Oh well - was looking forward to hitting that and Moxham but may have to settle for one out of two…sucks to be a weekend guy but still excited for tomorrow.

Hudson is reported as open for tomorrow. As for Powder Pass and North Star, those were both open when I was there on Wednesday. Powder Pass had a strip groomed down the side.

Gore's trail and glade openings have always been inconsistent and random. One day some things are open, then the next day they are closed and other things are open. I believe it's once again a case of trying to run the mountain too lean. Patrol seems to never be staffed sufficiently to open 100% of terrain.

Ski Bowl lodge will be built followed by more parking 6 years later and more snowmaking 8 years later. Just the ORDA way.

Yes.
Why have the closest to North Creek, 1000 ft vertical ski pod of beautiful terrain that can serve all skiers (green/blue/black) and sliders open every day? That is down right silly for me to expect the Ski Bowl to be open.
Sarcasm.
It’s not all about you. the new lodge is for more than alpine skiing. With the realities of winter in the new millennium, the lack of natural snow has made Mt. Van Hoevenberg and Gore, with their snowmaking on Nordic trails, the venues for 90% of the Nordic racing in eastern NY. MVH got an upgrade a few years ago to restore it to international Nordic and biathlon standards. The new lodge will allow bigger and better nordic events at Gore. Biathlon range next?

I hit Moxam on my way back to my car. I actually thought about 46er(ungroomed but open) but my body couldn't have handled it at that time. Moxam was really nice. The mountain skied very well today.
Yesterday was my first time at Ski Bowl. Moxam and Oak Ridge Trail are an absolute blast. I agree ungroomed 46er looked like WAY too much work to enjoy. Seemed like there were literally 5 people total on Ski Bowl trails. I assume the good with the bad (regarding the new lodge there) will be better access and more consistent opening, but a lot more traffic. I’ve only been skiing couple years so I am not familiar with the way ORDA operates, but is it really possible they could spend $30ish million on a new lodge and NOT have the foresight to increase snowmaking on those trails?

Yesterday was my first time at Ski Bowl. Moxam and Oak Ridge Trail are an absolute blast. I agree ungroomed 46er looked like WAY too much work to enjoy. Seemed like there were literally 5 people total on Ski Bowl trails. I assume the good with the bad (regarding the new lodge there) will be better access and more consistent opening, but a lot more traffic. I’ve only been skiing couple years so I am not familiar with the way ORDA operates, but is it really possible they could spend $30ish million on a new lodge and NOT have the foresight to increase snowmaking on those trails?
I'm not sure it's a foresight thing. More like money and control.

Burnt Ridge (trail cutting and new lift, and then one year later snomaking on Sagamore) was not paid for by Gore skier visits. The money came from the state. I'm sure the money for Backwoods snowmaking did too, but it came many years later.

Sno imagines a world where the GM says "no governor we don't want your new pod, with a high speed quad and no snowmaking, it just doesn't make any sense." But that world doesn't exist. The top guy at Gore, and the top guy at ORDA are not the equivalent or Rob Katz at Vail. For big capex projects, they have a boss above in NY State gov.

The state is not saying "Let's make snow on Twister first this year" but you can bet they have significant input on a $110 million reno of Gore/WF/Belle.

X wants ORDA to run more like a private business. But it never will. He knows that as he has watched the three ORDA hills for something like 30 years.

Question: how many hundreds of millions have gone into Gore/WF/Belle in the last 20 years? Would a single owner, or a string of them have spent that much? Would lift tickets still be relatively affordable?

Personally I will take all that ORDA is and enjoy it with a smile, if it means Rob Katz can't buy our NY hills. If you wish Gore had slopeside condos you may feel differently.

BTW I agree 100% about Moxham and Oak Ridge. Original trails created without dynamite, in rolling terrain, are a blast. While other hills in NY do have some similar terrain, those trails are unique at Gore. Maybe parts of Headwaters or Twister have that vibe.

Hudson closed - looks like it never opened since storm

Attachments

• 0527EBB2-0D7A-4AA3-8B83-CF441F859645.jpeg
    0527EBB2-0D7A-4AA3-8B83-CF441F859645.jpeg
    402.2 KB · Views: 79

Burnt Ridge (trail cutting and new lift, and then one year later snomaking on Sagamore) was not paid for by Gore skier visits. The money came from the state. I'm sure the money for Backwoods snowmaking did too, but it came many years later.

Sno imagines a world where the GM says "no governor we don't want your new pod, with a high speed quad and no snowmaking, it just doesn't make any sense." But that world doesn't exist. The top guy at Gore, and the top guy at ORDA are not the equivalent or Rob Katz at Vail. For big capex projects, they have a boss above in NY State gov.

The state is not saying "Let's make snow on Twister first this year" but you can bet they have significant input on a $110 million reno of Gore/WF/Belle.

X wants ORDA to run more like a private business. But it never will. He knows that as he has watched the three ORDA hills for something like 30 years.

Question: how many hundreds of millions have gone into Gore/WF/Belle in the last 20 years? Would a single owner, or a string of them have spent that much? Would lift tickets still be relatively affordable?

Personally I will take all that ORDA is and enjoy it with a smile, if it means Rob Katz can't buy our NY hills. If you wish Gore had slopeside condos you may feel differently.

BTW I agree 100% about Moxham and Oak Ridge. Original trails created without dynamite, in rolling terrain, are a blast. While other hills in NY do have some similar terrain, those trails are unique at Gore. Maybe parts of Headwaters or Twister have that vibe.
The list off those uniquely Gore-y trails is long - the entire North Side, Quicksilver, Dark Side, Chatiemac. I wish I had skied Twister when it was a narrow diamond. Living close to and skiing at Jiminy a fair amount for many years, I’ve observed the antithesis of natural trail building. Riptide/Willie’s Gulch used to be Jiminy’s glade, and due to lack of natural snow it was hardly ever open. They cut it but also bulldozed it to “Jiminyize” it.
ORDA somtimes gets heavy handed with the bulldozer, too. Skiing Backwoods is not what I envisioned while reading Gore’s hype all summer. It seems like a very wiiiiide 60 feet (maybe they used the snowfall-measuring ruler?) and not nearly the natural terrain I hoped for, which was sort of Tahawus on steroids.
There are a couple of places where I wish they would burn some dynamite and dozer time. Take out the hump on Hedges between Burnt Ridge and Tahawus Glade. In fact, take out the next hump on that service road that used to be the uphill trail to Tahawus Glade and make it a trail from BR back to Twister. That would be handy when Echo is closed for racing.

Last edited:

One of the things I enjoy most about all three places is the lack of development. Just a lodge snd parking lots. I never feel like I’m skiing in somebody’s back yard. I can’t see the state ever selling them and hope to hell they NEVER decide to put them on any mega pass. Ski3 is a perfect product the way it is. I also don’t mind them hosting all these events. If it keeps the cash flowing for upgrades the minor inconveniences they cause are well worth it.

Back