Gore Mountain Conditions

A bit of a stiff neck and the same feeling in my head from other concussions. I was standing when Patrol got there and they asked me if anything else was injured, I told them I had a bump on the left knee. They were correctly more concerned with the loss of consciousness.
I could barely walk this morning but it’s loosening up now. a little localized spot of pain on the inside of the kneecap, no swelling or discoloration. If it’s not skiable by next week I’ll see the ortho.
Sounds like an epic digger, good to hear you are okay. Might be a good time to consider a new helmet. Any impact that results in a concussion probably caused some damage. Lesson learned for my motorcycling days. Hey, they should be going on sale any day now!

Riding up the Hudson chair looking at 46r and I’m calling that once again the miracle workers aka gore Mt Ops crew have made enough to get this baby open!!
Now again this is my speculation but it looks to me that there’s enough to cover the head wall.
The upper and lower flats are already groomed out.
Happy!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-02-16 at 10.46.00 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-02-16 at 10.46.00 AM.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 72
  • Screen Shot 2023-02-16 at 10.45.48 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-02-16 at 10.45.48 AM.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 73
Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like an epic digger, good to hear you are okay. Might be a good time to consider a new helmet. Any impact that results in a concussion probably caused some damage. Lesson learned for my motorcycling days. Hey, they should be going on sale any day now!
Absolutely. Any damage to shell or foam liner and a helmet must be replaced. I’m going shopping today looking to upgrade to a Giro with MIPS.
Mine has a dent dead center on the front edge, right above my broken goggles and scraped nose. Also a big crack way over on the left in the photo, in both the shell and liner.
91098C78-A757-4B49-A515-B5334535592B.jpeg

How are you feeling?

Good news to hear you're ok and only a little sore. There was a slick spot right as you crossed to the left between upper and lower Open Pit yesterday that was hidden until you were on it, and it only takes a split second to take a fall and whack your head; I saw patrol with you and that was the first thought in my mind is that you had hit that spot.
Hope you feel better soon as we are hopefully going to have a very snowy March! (Postitive thoughts!) ⛷️ ⛷️ Pray for snow!

Thank god for helmets. 100% agree. I took a nasty fall on an icy Hawkeye a few years ago and since then always prefer going slow through bumps and trees than going for speed. Glad to hear your ready to get back at it. I broke my cheek bone on my fall and was happy I was able to get 1 day in before the end of the season to shake off the fear. Made it much easier to get going the following season.

First of all glad you are doing better and we're also checked out for neurological and cardiac issues .

These events are.
always scary.
I'm sitting here waiting to be admitted to St Joseph's in Syracuse for a cardiac ablation to correct a heart rate issue.

in the meantime I do laps in my home to try to stay in shape .we have a circular floor plan so it's easy to do.

A week ago while in the middle of a 20 round lap I felt suddenly dizzy and found myself a moment later after fainting fallen on the stairs with a major black eye on the left side cuts on my eyelids nose and arms.

I ended up having to wear a Holter monitor for a day and this morning I woke up missing part of an upper tooth which had been apparently split during my fall so that had to be repaired on an emergency basis this morning.
Take care and monitor yourself for awhile

Thank god for helmets. 100% agree. I took a nasty fall on an icy Hawkeye a few years ago and since then always prefer going slow through bumps and trees than going for speed. Glad to hear your ready to get back at it. I broke my cheek bone on my fall and was happy I was able to get 1 day in before the end of the season to shake off the fear. Made it much easier to get going the following season.
I’m sure we could fill pages with war stories about falls/injuries. Something to keep in mind is that if you have a pass and miss a good chunk of a season, Gore will help you out. I broke a clavicle on MLK weekend several years ago, end of season. I rode up to Gore with family/friends a couple of times and snowshoed while they skied. (Check out the pic, something you will never see skiing Twister Glade, from the uphill side it looks like one gigantic rock, it’s really several big rocks leaning against each other with a passage through the center.) Anyway, I stopped at customer service and the woman hands me a form. They had a form! I filled it out, mailed it in with a letter from my doctor and my pass. A couple of months later I get a letter - I’m getting over 50% of what my pass cost as a credit toward next year’s pass. They actually calculated skiing days missed/total skiing days for the credit. What other ski area does this?
084794DA-93C1-4084-89EC-EDC69C97A3AA.jpeg

How are you feeling?
If you haven’t had one, the best I can describe the feeling of mild post-concussion is like a hangover. That feeling was just about gone this morning, and after not driving for 48 hours after the fall I went out to the market. After 15 minutes in the store the hangover felt a little worse - overstimulation with lights and sounds can trigger it. I still feel lucky that I have a mild case.

I call that the Twister Cave. Usually the snow drifts and fills it in around the uphill side a little bit more making it more cave like in appearance.

IMG_0055.JPG
IMG_0047.JPG

Back