Fish Tales

Heading to Montana in june
Booked a guide for a day of fly fishing on a river float
Should be intersting

4/24-Got permission to fish a totally new section of Fishkill Creek near the bridge on route 52. That's a stocking bridge. Great looking water, hard gravelly and sandy bottom with shallow areas to wade that accessed deep pools and undercut banks. My host and I fished for about an hour or so I got to wade out on an island that allowed for many great casts. And we got skunked. Go figure. Gonna go back and fish it more carefully.
fc1.jpg

4/28-First warm day of 2021 so Steve and I decided to get out on the boat at the East Branch reservoir. We rowed down to where the river enters the impoundment and upstream hoping to catch a few trout. Nothing. So we went back to the reservoir proper. It was warm, almost hot at times but the water was still pretty cold. I didn't think we had any shot at landing any bass. I was wrong about that too. We each landed a nice smallmouth to save the day. Both were of course released bass are out of season as well. Nice to catch great fighters. My favorite freshwater gamefish.
Bs1.jpg

5/7-Fished the special regulations stretch of the East Branch. Nobody was fishing at the bathtub some kind of construction going on. So that pushed all the fishing pressure downstream. Got to my downstream pool near the 84 overpass and encountered the first fisherman I've seen there ever. Saw him before I got too close so I spied him fly fishing with what looked like nymphs. Anyway that's a big fish or nothing spot so I moved back upstream to the main bend area.

I was lucky enough to fish from there to the run before the Phoebe hole before seeing another fly fisherman. And the trout fishing was good. Nothing really big but 4 of the 6 brown trout I caught were 12-13". All were really healthy looking and fat. This was representative of the nicer fish:

eabr2.jpg

One of the most beautiful and productive stretches of trout water close to home:

eabr1.jpg

Last edited:
5/13-Got out on Rye Lake for the first time this season. The first 2 hours of fishing were pretty good. I landed 5 decent bass, nothing huge. Steve had similar luck. Deep diving plugs were working great. But 2 hours in and the fish just turned off. Not a bite the last 3 hours out. But it got me thinking that bass season is around the corner and spawning bass will soon be in play.

5/21-Continuing the tour of NYC reservoirs we went to Bog Brook next to the East Branch. We have had good May action here in the past. We quickly started to catch yellow and white perch on plugs and spinners. Steve landed a nice smallmouth, turns out it was the only smallmouth we landed today:

BB4.jpg

I got tired of small panfish and I remembered several days at Bog Brook I had good luck with plastic worms. I tied on a Gary Yamamoto 5" senko and quickly landed my nicest bass of the season so far, a fat largemouth:

BB1.jpg

I'm using bigger circle hooks this season in an effort to prevent aggressive bass from swallowing my plastic worms. I landed 7 more nice largemouths and every one was hooked in the corner of the mouth so that strategy seems to work. Easier to lose smaller fish but that's OK:

BB3.jpg

At this point Steve was fishing with a worm as well and the fishing action was good right to the end. I like fishing for and catching trout but there is no better fight in freshwater than with an aggressive bass. The next 2 months are going to feature some great fishing.

Back