Fish Tales

So my last day of skiing was Tuesday 4/6.

Went to the East Branch on 4/8 for my first day of trout fishing. Got to Brady's Bend and was happy to see the water was clear and not running too fast. But a quick temperature check showed the water was still very cold. So my strategy was to go downstream away from where any stocked fish would be and hope for a nice holdover trout in deeper water. This spot is one of those where if you don't know how to access it you get lost and hung up in brambles.
East5.jpg

It's a great stretch about 1/2 mile long with deep pools and clear water connected by fast moving riffles.
East1.jpg
East2.jpg

Just upstream from that second shot above I hooked a very nice brown trout in a deep pool it looked to be about 15" or so. Lost it after a 10 second fight. Nice fish. The same pool is in the background of this shot.
East4.jpg

And just upstream from that shot is where I caught a 10" stocked brown, in this very nice pool along the undercut bank.
East3.jpg

Fished upstream from there about another 1/4 mile and caught a few more small browns, all stocked. So it was a good first day out. Plus I didn't take a swim in the cold water like last season.

Attachments

• 35315-f02aaee2b18565881e72bb61d5f3ca50.jpg
    35315-f02aaee2b18565881e72bb61d5f3ca50.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 39
So my last day of skiing was Tuesday 4/6.

Went to the East Branch on 4/8 for my first day of trout fishing. Got to Brady's Bend and was happy to see the water was clear and not running too fast. But a quick temperature check showed the water was still very cold. So my strategy was to go downstream away from where any stocked fish would be and hope for a nice holdover trout in deeper water. This spot is one of those where if you don't know how to access it you get lost and hung up in brambles.
East5.jpg

It's a great stretch about 1/2 mile long with deep pools and clear water connected by fast moving riffles.
East1.jpg
East2.jpg

Just upstream from that second shot above I hooked a very nice brown trout in a deep pool it looked to be about 15" or so. Lost it after a 10 second fight. Nice fish. The same pool is in the background of this shot.
East4.jpg

And just upstream from that shot is where I caught a 10" stocked brown, in this very nice pool along the undercut bank.
East3.jpg

Fished upstream from there about another 1/4 mile and caught a few more small browns, all stocked. So it was a good first day out. Plus I didn't take a swim in the cold water like last season.
Do you release the fish after you catch them?

Attachments

• 35315-f02aaee2b18565881e72bb61d5f3ca50.jpg
    35315-f02aaee2b18565881e72bb61d5f3ca50.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 36
Do you release the fish after you catch them?
I always catch and release.

This season the DEC has changed the creel limits and the new system is very complicated. The limits can change on different stretches of the same river. I assume they did that to increase fine opportunities so it is just easier to avoid all that and not keep any fish anyway.

4/17-Fished my stretch of Fishkill Creek. Beautiful day and a fun wade but I got skunked. Not even a bite. Water at a perfect level but still very cold.

4/20-Back to the East Branch. Followed the same plan I did on 4/8. The reservoir is totally full and the spillway is raging. At Brady's Bend the water was slightly higher but noticeably less frigid. So I had high hopes and was rewarded at the same pool where I hooked and lost a nice trout on the 8th. This time I got a solid hook in the corner of the mouth and landed this fine brown trout about 15".
trt1.jpg

I continued upstream and caught 2 more decent browns about 12" each and 5 or 6 stocked trout. The next 2-3 weeks will be the best of spring trout fishing.

I try but suck at fly fishing. Mostly I practice on my backyard creek I'm good at snagging trees and branches.

For trout I stick to small spinners and plugs. Occasionally a small plastic worm. Ultra light open face spinning rig with 4 lbs. test line.

Back