F Vail

Ikon areas have had far more terrain and lifts open in comparison to neighboring Vail areas, and have been involved in far fewer operational fiascos
Maybe it helps that they have a CEO that spent his entire career in skiing and mountain OP's, starting as a liftie at Mammoth. Whereas VR has a CEO that spent her career selling cars and snack products.

Reactions: abe
NY Ski Blog and Storm Skiing Journal are my only sources of sking news and events. All the complaints and problems I read about appear to be with Vail. Are all these issues specific to Vail? It seems like I do not read about the same problems with Boyne or Alterra. Do they suffer from some or any of the same issues, or are they just that much better at running things?
Crystal was bought by Alterra and also has some issues related to lack of parking and the increased population of the local market. But they can be more flexible about solutions because of the way operations are managed at individual resorts. The Alterra business model provides more local control for decision making.

As for Boyne, they have done a good job handling resorts in different regions with approaches that seem to take into account regional differences. What happens in New England, Michigan, Brighton in UT and at Big Sky in MT are based on the relevant markets and habits.

Powdr also allows more local decision making. Snowbird, Killington, Copper, Bachelor feel more like independents than resorts owned by the same company in terms of the vibe.

About Alterra's management philosophy. An interview with CEO Rusty Gregory in 2018 after he was in the job for a couple of months.

July 2018
" . . .
SAM: What does Alterra not want to borrow from the Vail Resorts’ strategy?

RG: It’s less about borrowing than it is about the opportunity to not do the same thing in business with a business approach they are experts at.

We believe that a decentralized approach to managing the organization—and making capital decisions and operational decisions—is the right way to stay connected to the local personalities of the resort and the local opportunities. We want to enhance our local communities. We want to create a one-and-only approach to each of the mountains. That’s challenging, because it’s hard to create a systematic approach across a large platform when you are trying to create a bespoke outcome. But I think that fits the marketplace today and the space available to us, and we are very committed to that.
. . ."

Does any of this make any sense?

This one is a bit baffling.
Although overall visitation was negatively impacted by the poor conditions, particularly among our local guests, our season pass sales results significantly mitigated the impact of the challenging start to the season on lift revenue and highlighted the stability created by our advance commitment strategy.

Sounds as if they could be rationalizing the lower overall visitations numbers on the poor conditions of their local guests.
Better get their local guests in better shape.
Good luck with that.

Last edited:
"Back at the pass deadline when people assumed we'd be able to deliver a product, we sold a fuckton of passes. Based on that, we'll have a decent year. If anyone has an ideas on how to deal with next season now that the secret is out... PM me."

FIFY

FIFY "Back at the pass deadline when people assumed we'd be able to deliver a product, we sold a fuckton of passes. Based on that, we'll have a decent year. If anyone has an ideas on how to deal with next season now that the secret is out... PM me."
Don’t go putting yer words in my mouth Harv. You own those, just say it.;)

Last edited:
About Alterra's management philosophy. An interview with CEO Rusty Gregory in 2018 after he was in the job for a couple of months.

July 2018
" . . .
SAM: What does Alterra not want to borrow from the Vail Resorts’ strategy?

RG: It’s less about borrowing than it is about the opportunity to not do the same thing in business with a business approach they are experts at.

We believe that a decentralized approach to managing the organization—and making capital decisions and operational decisions—is the right way to stay connected to the local personalities of the resort and the local opportunities. We want to enhance our local communities. We want to create a one-and-only approach to each of the mountains. That’s challenging, because it’s hard to create a systematic approach across a large platform when you are trying to create a bespoke outcome. But I think that fits the marketplace today and the space available to us, and we are very committed to that.
. . ."
What a novel idea
Someone in charge of a ski company who actually has ski area management experience.

From my buddy at Hunter
1EF0FEE3-1AA7-405C-85F6-12124D0BD9A4.jpeg

Back