F Vail

Jeezus
When I was out there, North Star was supposed to be the posh family oriented easier terrain spot in North Tahoe. If the hotels are trash now, what have they got?

We can blame Vail all we want but as long as people keep buying passes, waiting in stupid long ass lines, and putting up with corporate BS nothing will ever change. We really can only blame "ourselves".
I think a lot of people didn't realize what was happening before they pulled the trigger and bought an EPIC. They saw what they thought would be a "great deal" but no one knew that EPIC pass sales would increase by 76% adding almost 1Million more pass holders that would flood their resorts. Not to mention staffing issues.

As discussed by others in this thread, I think this whole thing will end bad... for Vail and us skiers. Vail Resorts primary mission is to satisfy share holders by constantly increasing profit. To do that they will need more acquisitions, thus destroying our beloved local mountains. They will also need to hike prices, which will be easier because they have a monopoly.

There is short term upside for us non-EPIC pass holders right now. Logically, if an additional million skiers and riders are flocking to Vail mountains, then non-epic resorts ought to be a bit less crowded. Those are the locations I'm specifically seeking to ski.

VUCK FAIL

There is short term upside for us non-EPIC pass holders right now. Logically, if an additional million skiers and riders are flocking to Vail mountains, then non-epic resorts ought to be a bit less crowded. Those are the locations I'm specifically seeking to ski.
We were talking about this at Whiteface the other day ... If you're local to Whiteface/Gore/Belleayre, this is definitely an advantage to having an ORDA pass right now.

Sorry ... I forgot ... Fuck Vail!

I've done recent weekend trips to Hunter and Belleayre. While it's completely anecdotal and definitely not an apples-to-apples comparison, the lines at Hunter were twice as long.

MTN had ~$3.1 Billion in debt this summer before they gobbled the Pa hills, allegedly.
Maybe they’ll just use it as a case study ala Enron & Worldcom in The Harvard Business School.
The private Icon-ists could come to the rescue as well. Ya never know.

I've done recent weekend trips to Hunter and Belleayre. While it's completely anecdotal and definitely not an apples-to-apples comparison, the lines at Hunter were twice as long.
Spoke with a buddy of mine who was at Hunter on Saturday to meet his son for some turns. He got first chair and said he enjoyed skiing with his son for about an 1.5 hrs, then it was a complete shit-show. Showed me a picture of the liftline and it was a horror movie. He then mentioned the only thing worse than waiting in that line was skiing down with the masses.

Get food&bev at a Fail resort & it can be more than their bait ya to come epicpass price that only drops ya into the epic-failshow.
I didn't mention food&bev because skiers have much discretion on how to handle that. Lodging beyond daytrip distance skiers have some discretion, but I recognize that at some ski areas it is difficult to avoid paying more inflation adjusted $$ for lodging than in the past.

Back