F Vail

If only you could go back and buy real estate...
One of our family stories is the my grandmother was in Aspen the year that the Hotel Jerome was lost in a poker game when the bet was a bottle of whiskey. It doesn’t matter. She still wouldn’t have had the money to buy real estate.
Her real story is a lot darker.

mm

not so sure that a traffic jam spewing car exhaust or over-apres’ed drivers sliding into a ditch after dark is any more in harmony with the local character than a new parking lot but hey…

Park City is the only town in Utah that never had an LDS stake. It was a mining town full of Irish catholic immigrants. It went bust with silver prices at the end of the 19th century. I was there with a CYO baseball team in 58 and it was the poorest place I’ve ever seen, and I’ve been to Cuba.

Skiing has been good to PC.

mm
It has been. What's not good is the takeover of a town by a megacorporation that wants to Disnefy your town.

not so sure that a traffic jam spewing car exhaust or over-apres’ed drivers sliding into a ditch after dark is any more in harmony with the local character than a new parking lot but hey…
Disney has huge parking lots.
Fail’s just trying to follow suit.

"The project site lies on a 2-acre plot about 5 miles up the Mountain Road from downtown Stowe, and about 2 miles south of the resort."

Classic nimbyism. The lot is going to add only 286 spots, but it is better than the current situation. The hilarity of saying "the parking lot does not keep with the character of the area" shows a real the lack of awareness. I guess the 7 mile conga line of cars extending from the center of Stowe up to the Resort does keep with the character of the area. o_O

Vermont's Act 250 law is NIMBYism written into state law and extremely prohibitive to development of any kind. Surely the big wigs at Fail were well aware of how difficult doing business in that that was before making all of their acquisitions. Many elements of both the Spruce Peak development and Jay Peak development were done on the build first ask for forgiveness second (pay hefty fine) approach.

The mountain road in Stowe was at capacity and a major issue even before Fails purchasing the resort. There were even failed plans for a multi tier parking garage at one time. It doesn't really help when your mountain is at the end of a dead end road all winter. It's really no different from the traffic going up the canyons in Utah, except your choke point for traffic is your quaint manufactured New England town thats getting backed up all the way down into Waterbury.

Sounds like the locals are telling Vail/Fail how they feel about V/F purchasing and ruining Stowe.

This rejection was from the Development Review Board in Stowe, not Act 250. The Vermont Agency of Transportation signed off on the parking lot. Not doing anything is not a solution.

My point in bringing up 250 was really to set the stage for how antidevelopment Vermonters as a bunch are. VTrans knows there is an issue just as well as local residents do, but more parking really is not a solution in itself when everyone has to filter through downtown Stowe or attempt that horrid left hand turn off Luce Hill onto 108. My solution to this when living in Vermont was avoiding Stowe all together during the wintertime and this was before Fail owned the mountain. The town reached the peak tourist load it could handle in the early 2010's. Short of opening the Notch in the winter to allow travelers in from the north there really is no solution for the traffic issues, something you would realize if you lived with it first hand.

This rejection was from the Development Review Board in Stowe, not Act 250. The Vermont Agency of Transportation signed off on the parking lot. Not doing anything is not a solution.
I lived in Smuggs, and spent a lot of time in $towe when the first McDonalds was approved to be built on the Mountain Rd. The clamoring, and down right hatred was amazing while witnessing the approval for such a satanic burger joint to be built.

Back