F Vail

I'm sure I own some Vail stock in my total stock market fund.

You were kidding too... you aren't an epic passholder and you don't own their stock, so you're all set.

I always wondered about the thinking behind giveaway senior passes too. Good PR?
The age cut offs for senior rates vary quite a bit. I started paying attention a few years ago when my primary ski buddy turned 65. Ranges from 60 to 80. 65 far more common at small hills or ski areas that aren't destination resorts. Wolf Creek starts at 65, Monarch starts at 62. Taos starts at 65. Alta has a Senior Pass for 65-79 but no senior day ticket price. Snowbird also has a Senior Pass for 65+. 70 used to be the target but started moving up a decade ago. First to 72, and in some cases up to 75 after that.

Ikon doesn't have any senior discounts. Epic had a senior rate for a few regional passes.

For family oriented resorts, the hope is probably that if grandparents are regulars then their adult children and grandchildren are more likely to hit the slopes too. Doesn't always work though. I remember chatting with a grandfather from the midwest a few years ago who spends the winter months in Sandy. He alternated getting an Alta pass and a Snowbird pass. He was lamenting that neither of his kids were bringing the grandkids for ski vacations any more. Even though they had a free place to stay.

SkiCNY Song-Lab 65 and over was ~$250 for last season if ya bought it early.
Came out to <$10/day with skiing only 1 weekend day and no holidays.
Could’ve but chose not too.

I always wondered about the thinking behind giveaway senior passes too. Good PR?
PR was probably part of it. Plus, back in the day, it was pretty rare for people Harv and Benny’s age to still be skiing. Medical science has come a long way

Skiing is primarily a Boomer sport. They fueled it's growth as young people back in the late 60s and beyond. There weren't as many older people back then, and, as we know, an old body isn't made to withstand the trauma of learning mistakes. Furgetabout snowboarding. Now the Boomers are old, but many have the skills, and the money, to ski casually.
But, even at that pass price at Sugarbush, there's nobody there midweek. I guess they had to get somebody out on the slopes. Matter of time before they close midweek, I guess.

Back