F Vail

I wouldn't say that most of that skier growth is local
The drastically worsening weekend traffic on I-70 and in the Cottonwood Canyons strongly implies most of that skier growth is local. I used to be one of those fly-in visitors to Salt Lake but it was always at least 4 days. Now it's my timeshare week and I drive from SoCal.

Yeah, but the subject is SLC.
C’mon now.
It’s F Vail thread.
Seems Fail's looking for some kinda moola...
...as the stock drops >30 points since April 9th to under $200.

Historically I recall reading that LCC visits were half local and that Park City visits were 1/4 local. That was pre-pandemic though.
Interesting.

Makes sense to me that Park City has more travelers than then other SLC ski resorts. I know the Australians are more likely to head to Park City if they fly to SLC because the three major ski resorts in Australia are all on Epic. People in the northeast who get the relatively inexpensive Northeast Epic pass probably know that Park City is an Epic resort that can be included for not that much more money. VR knew that folks in New York City and Boston were prime targets for Epic passes when they bought Triple Peaks to get Okemo and Sunapee, and then Peak Resorts for Hunter and Mt. Snow. Now VR has 7 resorts in PA for the Pittsburgh, DC/NoVA, and Philadelphia markets.

I remembered the comments from the GM of Alta about the percentage of visits that were Ikon holders during the 2018-19 season. Locals were quick to blame crowded slopes on Ikon. That was the last season before 2023-24 with regular operations and good snow all season.

March 2019
" . . .
Snowfall across the nation has brought skiers out in force. While skier visits to Alta show a double-digit increase over last season, we are currently only 6% ahead of the 16-17 ski season. Our day and multi-day ticket visits are down significantly this season due to the migration of many of our skiers to the Ikon Pass. Our net increase in skier visits from the Ikon Pass is currently running roughly 3%. Our largest increase in skier visits is coming from local pass holders whose visits are up 13% compared to the prior season. With that said, powder is our greatest commodity and we applaud our local pass holders for enjoying this year’s plentiful powder days.

We are not alone in facing a busy winter. In a recent discussion with GM's from other Mountain Collective destinations in the West, all indicated that skier visits are up due to good snow conditions and the largest area of increase is from local season pass holders. We are also seeing significantly more skiers than we have ever had in the backcountry areas around Alta. It will not surprise us if this is a record skier visit year for Utah and North America. The widespread uptick in skier visits across our country suggests that demand in a snowy year may be greater than the supply in some regions of the country.
. . ."

Well, there's a town there (Park City). At one point in my life, I was thinking seriously of retiring there. Lame hill, compared to the rest, but, an actual all season town with two golf courses, film festival, bars, and pretty much equidistant to the two canyons and Snowbasin/Powder. Five, six hours to JH north, five hours to Moab south. Nice. Then they screwed it up with the Canyons, Epic moved in, and it's ridiculous now. I was appalled last time I was there. It's Breck west, but worse. You look around at night, and there's nobody who actually skis anymore. Just, you know, Disney World/cruise ship/touron America, buying ice cream, waffles, and t shirts.

Well, there's a town there (Park City). .. It's Breck west, but worse. You look around at night, and there's nobody who actually skis anymore. Just, you know, Disney World/cruise ship/touron America, buying ice cream, waffles, and t shirts.
Compare & contrast experiences of whatever.

Back