F Vail

When it comes right down to it, the sport has always been for the upper tier of society.
In my opinion this started with lifts and was accelerated dramatically by snowmaking.

Also regarding "upper tier" I know what you mean, but I feel "affluent" is a better word. IMO having money doesn't put you above anyone else. (Not implying your were saying that Benny).

Well, by upper tier, I mean those that are at least above average in income and assets, and usually within the top 20%. Poor and paycheck to paycheck people don't ski, face it, unless they live close to a hill and probably work there. If that wasn't the case, you'd see a whole lot more black and people of color on the hill. And actual Vermonters on the lifts in Vermont besides on Vermont day.

Well, by upper tier, I mean those that are at least above average in income and assets, and usually within the top 20%. Poor and paycheck to paycheck people don't ski, face it, unless they live close to a hill and probably work there. If that wasn't the case, you'd see a whole lot more black and people of color on the hill. And actual Vermonters on the lifts in Vermont besides on Vermont day.
Paycheck to paycheck people do not do much of anything that costs money.

Vail’s rolling out an AI thingy 🍺 for their primo slopes in Colorado.

Wonder what kinds of questions ya can ask it.
  1. Can Josh debug it?

Last edited:
Saw this on a tool table at the exit of the Wild Blue gondola at Steamboat. Same sticker I saw on some kids helmet at Bristol.

Made me chuckle.

1000019369.jpg

There is no question that skier visits will be down this year, particularly since last year was a record high. North America November/December ski area snowfall was 57% of normal; that's the second worst to 38% in 1976-77. Since January most of that deficit has been made up, but Christmas represents a big chunk of visitation and often drives the narrative for the season, even when there was a great recovery like this year.

There is no question that skier visits will be down this year,
If you had to guess, how do you think it will compare to the last year before covid 18/19?

Back