F Vail

Vail Resorts Inc. reported financials for the recent qtr. on Monday.
Looks like they didn’t buy any of their own shares this qtr. but used some for compen$ations. Info is in 10Q.

Here’s the transcript of earnings call.
Interesting there was a drop. Perhaps normal after covid bump? Seemingly bad whether season (seems worst since '16 or so). I didn't open so can't tell if it is just visitors (which is why they focus on pass sales) or actually revenue declines.

Well, it looks like their model works economically. Fairly steep drop in skiers, lift revenue moderated and ski school dropped. 6% drop in price probably would have been lower without their model. (Not saying it is good for skiing!)

Despite the decrease in visitation, lift revenue was up slightly for the quarter, which Lynch attributed to strong Epic Pass sales.

Vail’s ancillary businesses, which include ski school, dining and rentals, are experiencing growth in spending.

Still, the company plans to lower its guidance after falling short of expectations. Vail Resorts’ stock, MTN, dipped about 6% in after-hours trading following the quarterly report.

Fairly steep drop in skiers, ...
Vail’s ancillary businesses, which include ski school, dining and rentals, are experiencing growth in spending per visit.
FIFY.& text added
Emphasis .

Didya read the transcript?
"For our [inflow] business results, season-to-date ski school revenue was up 5.5%, dining revenue was down 0.5% and combined retail and rental revenue for North American resort and ski area locations was down 9.3% compared to the prior year period."

At Hunter Mountain, subject to approvals, we plan to replace the four-person fixed-grip Broadway lift with a new six-person high speed lift and plan to relocate the existing Broadway lift to replace the two-person fixed-grip E lift, providing a meaningful increase in uphill capacity and improved access to terrain that is key to the progressive learning experience for our guests.

Gonna be even more crowded on the slopes! At some point they are going to be forced open Hunter West right?

Was Hunter crowded this year?

That’s a good article. It gets into the climate impact on the industry.

Our local hill is part of a smaller pass conglomerate but is obviously modeled after Epic/Ikon. They pack our local hill beyond the carrying capacity numbers by shuttling guests from downtown parking lots and at the base of the access road. It makes for some extremely dangerous skiing conditions. The demand has gotten to be so large that they can justify ridiculously high prices for a product that just isn’t worth it to a guy like me. It just doesn’t make sense to ski there anymore imo.

It’s going to be interesting to watch the industry over the next 50 years. With a changing climate the demand and pressure will only increase, pricing out a massive percentage of the market. I’m curious how the USFS will justify ski area leases on public lands when they are playgrounds for only the 10% ers or in the case of resorts like Jackson or snowbird the 1% ers.

F it. I’m retiring from the snow and cold. I’m hyped on the Mojave livin now.

Ha. You're going full Death Valley. Manson family time.

When it comes right down to it, the sport has always been for the upper tier of society. Even if you were doing little hills with good deals, it was still expensive for a family, especially if they went all in on summer with a beach house and/or boats. My daddy was happy to rest in the winter, no driving all weekend.

1000003577.jpg

Back