F Vail

"The hours felt long as Laso said she was fighting the cold by rubbing her hands and feet."

What a horror.

This company is turning into the Boeing of skiing.

At least ya didn’t have to stay overnight in the gondola.
Whataway to run a shitshow.
She didn’t have a phone with her but where's the RFID tech &/or a liftie when ya need one to get on a lift?
Maybe Fail will comp her some ancillary attachments & add it to their bottom line.
IMG_3485.jpeg

Crazy story, in 1999 two women spent the night on the Southern Comfort chair in Big Sky. After they were found in the morning, two of my friends, who were bellmen at the hotel, drove them an hour to where they lived in West Yellowstone. One drove them in a van and the other drove their car for them. The women, obviously cold and hungry, asked to stop at the gas station for some hot drinks and snacks. They asked the guys for money since they didn’t have any. They went on to explain that they had set fire to all of the bills they had and dropped them from the lift in a vain attempt to signal some passing groomers.

That lift had no safety bar and they slept in shifts to avoid falling off. They described the nightmares they had of slipping off, jolting them awake, preventing them from getting much sleep. It was rumored that the resort offered them season passes which they refused. Then the offer was for some lifetime passes and I also heard there was talk of real estate. They ended up settling out of court and the amount was never publicized.

In order to get stuck on that chair they would have had to first duck a rope and then self-load a chair. It’s crazy that they got any money.

Last edited:
Crazy story, in 1999 two woman spent the night on the Southern Comfort chair in Big Sky. After they were found in the morning, two of my friends, who were bellman at the hotel, drove them an hour to where they lived in West Yellowstone. One drove them in a van and the other drove their car for them. The women, obviously cold and hungry, asked to stop at the gas station for some hot drinks and snacks. They asked the guys for money since they didn’t have any. They went on to explain that they had set fire to all of the bills they had and dropped them from the lift in a vain attempt to signal some passing groomers.

That lift had no safety bar and they slept in shifts to avoid falling off. They described the nightmares they had of slipping off, jolting them awake, preventing them from getting much sleep. It was rumored that the resort offered them season passes which they refused. Then the offer was for some lifetime passes and I also heard there was talk of real estate. They ended up settling out of court and the amount was never publicized.

In order to get stuck on that chair they would have had to first duck a rope and then self-load a chair. It’s crazy that they got any money.
@Ripitz should get extra points for his Montana skiing stories comments.
How cold/windy was it, time of year...?

It was February 24, 1999. They were stranded for 16 hours and the low was 25 degrees.
Article says OSHA fined them for avalanche control going on while folks were grooming below on Feb 20, 1999.

Last edited:
What did the bottom operator have to say? Or was it a policy fail? The gondola mishaps always seem to be a download that doesn’t get communicated to everybody

Last edited:
What did the bottom operator have to say? Or was it a policy fail? The gondola mishaps always seem to be a download that doesn’t get communicated to everybody
That area used to close at 3:30. Ski Patrol would rope off the runs with a disc stating that the lift is closed and then do their sweep. Patrol would then load along with the bottom operator or the operator would snowmobile out. I believe the women were at fault. They lived locally and owned an outdoor gear shop, they weren’t just some dumb tourons. They should have known better. I’m sure there was a phone in the shack they could have used. I think someone also self-loaded once at the end of the day in the Back Bowls at Vail and got stuck. From what I remember he jumped off and broke a leg but was able to make it down to a phone at the bottom shack.

Last edited:
Back