F Vail

there is no reason
Teenager logic.

You're missing the dynamic here. I'm reluctantly agreeing to allow my daughter's boyfriend to come to our tiny cabin for a claustrophic week (2 days) of skiing. I'm not driving the dude to ski Shawnee.

Teenager logic.

You're missing the dynamic here. I'm reluctantly agreeing to allow my daughter's boyfriend to come to our tiny cabin for a claustrophic week (2 days) of skiing. I'm not driving the dude to ski Shawnee.
My daughter and granddaughter (2 1/2) now live with me. Her boyfriend and daughter (9 months) have been here since Christmas. I'm going skiing tomorrow and everyday I can after that...

Teenager logic.

...not asking you too - but maybe N could....if she was interested.... ;)

Wow sticker shock for me as well.

I was just going to book a private lesson for my wife this weekend at Stratton just to get tuned up for our Taos trip in 3 weeks. We will be in the area visiting our daughter, that's why Stratton. $649 for 3 hours!!! That can't be right, but it is. A group lesson is $200.

As Crazy Eddie use to say, prices are insane!!
Holy!

My daughter's boyfriend wanted to learn to ski this year. He's never skied, and is probably interested mostly because he wants to be part of our daughter's life.

He changed his mind based on the cost of two days of skiing. Lift tickets, ski rental (choose between a more somewhat sane process for a season rental, or the insane process of renting at the mountain - both expensive) and we thought he should have at least one lesson.
There are several ways around this. One is to go to a smaller independent option that is far less expensive. The problem is that with no snow yet options are limited. However, if you happen to live in New Jersey or southest NY, Big Snow is a great and pretty affordable option (3-day lift/rental packages are under $200) and there is always snow. After a few sessions you can bring him up to a place like Belleayre or Gore--Ski3 season passes come with a free day of rentals, one free lift ticket and one 1/2 price lift ticket. So that's 5 days of skiing/rentals for around $300. Alternatively, plenty of places also have first timer deals that include lessons for a reasonable price (one example here's another). There is more to life than Epic mountains!

Alternatively, plenty of places also have first timer deals that include lessons for a reasonable price (one example here's another). There is more to life than Epic mountains!
Took a nephew who was staying with us & wanted to snowboard (skateboarder from South Florida) to Lab some time ago. The whole shebang (board, boots, lesson, ticket) was <$100 and ya could do it 3 different times. First day was fast and firm. He had a blast but said it was the most bruised he’d been in awhile. Rode up with another dang boarder who was amazed it was his first time. We had fun.

Last edited:
My daughter's boyfriend wanted to learn to ski this year. He's never skied, and is probably interested mostly because he wants to be part of our daughter's life.

He changed his mind based on the cost of two days of skiing. Lift tickets, ski rental (choose between a more somewhat sane process for a season rental, or the insane process of renting at the mountain - both expensive) and we thought he should have at least one lesson.

Basically the initial investment scared him away.
Drop him off at Garnet Hill on your way to Gore and tell him to figure it out.

Back