F Vail

My daughter's boyfriend wanted to learn to ski this year. He's never skied, and is probably interested mostly because he wants to be part of our daughter's life.

He changed his mind based on the cost of two days of skiing. Lift tickets, ski rental (choose between a more somewhat sane process for a season rental, or the insane process of renting at the mountain - both expensive) and we thought he should have at least one lesson.

Basically the initial investment scared him away. (I volunteered to pay for the lesson.)

You guys can't expect Vail to act in the best interest of skiing. That's not how it works. None of us run our business for the good of all, we do what we do to be profitable. Why would Vail be any different? Once you add the whole "publicly traded" thing into the mix, you can't expect motives to extend beyond the next quarter.
While I agree regarding Vail (profits first), there are still small independents out there. First timers don't need a resort, they need a hill, any hill. There are options out there. My granddaughter will be learning at Royal or Maple even though I have a ski3 pass.

Totally get it.

I'm not saying I'll never ski again, that's not it. It simply isn't going to be a priority in my life anymore. First of all, it doesn't snow around here anymore more.....LoL
Oh yeah. Same.

I had to get new boots this year. I spent 600 bucks on em and so far I don’t want to wear them longer than a few hours because of the pain. It’s just one more thing making the activity lose value for myself. My mountain biking shoes and my work boots are SO comfy and mountain biking and trail building actually makes me money.

While I agree regarding Vail (profits first), there are still small independents out there. First timers don't need a resort, they need a hill, any hill. There are options out there. My granddaughter will be learning at Royal or Maple even though I have a ski3 pass.

Good on you man, you are part of the solution.

Our first timer was planning to go with us on Christmas break. So in our case you have the "ties to a specific mountain" situation. This was going to happen at Gore (where we have lodging and passes already paid for) or not at all. If we all lived upstate, we would have more choices, for sure.

We are not alone. Many NJ families have ties to bigger affiliated mountains in NY and VT.

Oh yeah. Same.

I had to get new boots this year. I spent 600 bucks on em and so far I don’t want to wear them longer than a few hours because of the pain. It’s just one more thing making the activity lose value for myself. My mountain biking shoes and my work boots are SO comfy and mountain biking and trail building actually makes me money.
Won’t the shop punch me out or modify them for that much cash?

Oh yeah. I’ve only skied in them two days. One day was two runs and the other was two hours. I’m going to give them a few more days to see and then decide.

They could very likely be my last ski boots I purchase though. As I mentioned, it’s just another reason of many that this sport has lost value to me. Of course, I say this now but if I get that perfect turn bending the shit out of my skis I’ll remember why I fell in love with it again.

That is the way it should be done but logistically that means dealing with a shop in a ski resort so you can come in after those two hours, describe the problem, get a fix, rinse and repeat until the boots are right. You will of course have to pay if you're doing this on a vacation in Colorado. Nonetheless nearly any equipment geek will tell you that bootfitting is the one area where you must not cut corners and pay whatever it takes to get it done properly.

This is why I buy boots at Mammoth and not in SoCal. You also need to know in advance that you're working with a competent bootfitter. Hopefully there are a few in North Creek and/or Lake Placid.

That is the way it should be done but logistically that means dealing with a shop in a ski resort so you can come in after those two hours, describe the problem, get a fix, rinse and repeat until the boots are right. You will of course have to pay if you're doing this on a vacation in Colorado. Nonetheless nearly any equipment geek will tell you that bootfitting is the one area where you must not cut corners and pay whatever it takes to get it done properly.

This is why I buy boots at Mammoth and not in SoCal. You also need to know in advance that you're working with a competent bootfitter. Hopefully there are a few in North Creek and/or Lake Placid.
The pro ski in ride near hunter was awesome (and still may be). Keith passed away. Gave me a great fit and offered me booze at the same time.

Oh yeah. Same.

Your $600 boots are uncomfortable because you still need to spend $400 more getting them custom fit🤣

Yeah the whole mountain biking thing is fantastic, aside from my broken hand last month 😊 Comfortable clothing, shoes, fresh air, fantastic exercise, new travel locations and new friends. No lift tickets, lines or crowds. Nothing corporate. Great riding done largely for free on mostly town and state trails.

Who knew that the chance walk through our town bike shop in 2019 would have led to something so positively life changing.

Oh yeah. I’ve only skied in them two days. One day was two runs and the other was two hours. I’m going to give them a few more days to see and then decide.

They could very likely be my last ski boots I purchase though. As I mentioned, it’s just another reason of many that this sport has lost value to me. Of course, I say this now but if I get that perfect turn bending the shit out of my skis I’ll remember why I fell in love with it again.
LOL
i went through this a couple of years ago...600 plus 50$ here and there to get them some what ok

Back