F Vail

I looked around for a place to put this but instead of starting a new one I decided to pile on Vail as they represent the whole mega pass thing well and they suck too. I wish all ski areas to stay in business but this is what happens when you over sell and are “successful”. Years ago when I lived in Big Sky, I took a trip down to Teton Pass with some friends to run some road laps. I met a guy on the bootpack who was a Jackson Hole passholder. He told me about the horrific tram lines that morning, how you had to get there wicked early, had to wait, only got one ride and couldn’t return to base. They usually skied to the Hobacks for one and got out of there to go hike the pass, which is where I met him at 10am. Sucks, I said confusingly. At that time I was skiing walk on trams in Big Sky and lapping the front, all 4 Gullies, Duckshot, Dobie’s, and Big Couloir in a day and then some. I was even lucky enough to ride the tram by myself a few times. Those days are over. Building a bigger tram is a big mistake IMO. I’d rather see them tear it down and let people hike it. I’ve done that too. Those runs were the most memorable. Rant over... for now.
Hiked, skied the pass a few times it’s an amazing place, yeah fuck the mega pass and those that push em

"Our goal is to improve the guest experience and get the Tram line back to 30 minutes on average consistently."

30 minutes is terrible. How long was it this year?

I'm assuming it's a once in a lifetime experience?

"The only pass with unlimited Tram access is Big Sky’s Gold Pass that costs $1,899 for adults, or a Double Black Pass that grants 10 days of access on the Lone Peak tram for $1,449."

I'm assuming this is heli-access. ?

"Our goal is to improve the guest experience and get the Tram line back to 30 minutes on average consistently."

30 minutes is terrible. How long was it this year?

I'm assuming it's a once in a lifetime experience?

"The only pass with unlimited Tram access is Big Sky’s Gold Pass that costs $1,899 for adults, or a Double Black Pass that grants 10 days of access on the Lone Peak tram for $1,449."

I'm assuming this is heli-access. ?
Waiting 1/2 hour to get on a ski-lift should come with some fringe benefits along with just getting to the top.

Here’s Vail’s investor powerpoint presentation thingy put up today.
Epically Vuck Fail. Got a slide showing their "subscription model transformation...advanced commitment model”.
I’ll stick with local Mom’s and Pops. They can have the masses if they can handle em.

I liked the “reducing friction” goal under their guest experience wish list. Good luck with that. F Vail :poop:

Last edited:
That's quite a document. I don't really have the patience to read and understand it.

I think (?) it's saying the goal is to get/keep ski days per ticket at 4 per season and yield $112 per day?

If that is right we are REALLY in the minority here. Even my price per day is way below that.

“reducing friction”
I guess this is as close as they come to the phrase "lift lines."

Waiting 1/2 hour to get on a ski-lift should come with some fringe benefits along with just getting to the top.
Awesome scenery enough?

There's a recent video of somebody tumbling almost the entire length of that couloir right under the gondola, which is Big couloir. They're probably still in pain.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1619185612124.jpg
    FB_IMG_1619185612124.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
That's quite a document. I don't really have the patience to read and understand it. I think (?) it's saying the goal is to get/keep ski days per ticket at 4 per season and yield $112 per day?
A forum member recently said something to the effect of: "running a ski area is a business so don't be surprised when they treat it like a business."

Back